• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
As one whose husband is in the construction industry, I can say that the majority of those workers are coming from the north end of the county and that is where the most recent cases have been. I also know of some that are sick and not going to the doctor/hospitals due to their immigration status. Sowal as a whole depends on most of their workforce coming from the north end of the county.
It is being reported that all of the new cases north of the bay are at the Chautauqua Rehab & Nursing Center. I understand that there are likely infected people who are not reporting. But I believe if it was a significant number it would be spreading to others and show up in our reported cases, hospitalizations and possibly deaths. I am surprised and encouraged by our low number of infections. Our officials and community members have done a good job.

Our main issue is the possibility of infected visitors arriving from our southern drive markets.

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
Let’s not forget that hotels and resorts have been open. We also didn’t have any jump in infections post spring break. We were correct to be overly cautious with the response to the virus but so far it’s proving out to be a lot less of a problem, especially for those without underlying health issues. The “flu” would have put these same people in harms way, too.

Let’s stop saying the STR’s are holding 20+ people in them. This is NOT at all the majority of the STR’s around here. Most places are 2-3 BR’s occupied by families who have likely already been around each other so they pose more more of a threat than anyone else.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
Just mylmy opinion.... We're less than two weeks into phase 1. Too soon to know the effects and now they want to open STR and pretend there is no pandemic. Not only is this risky for health reasons, it's also risky from an infrastructure and supply chain perspective. I don't think our stores and other businesses are ready for the number of people that opening STR will bring to our area. We're barely keeping up with the folks that are currently here.

Give this man a cigar.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
What sort of plan could they offer? I can't even think of a plan that goes beyond a few bullet points.
  • Step 1: We allow rentals in our county
  • Step 2: Profit
Safety protocols and standards. Perhaps a new normal for rentals such as a specified time between renters. Disinfecting certain items in every rental and hopefully procedures for all cleaning, linens etc.

Most rental companies will provide customers with their plans, guidelines and rules for COVID19 response and safety as part of their marketing strategy. You can find these on every rental company and hotel website. If I were renting, I would be interested in knowing their policies. Some of them also provide renters with specific requirements in the state of Florida and what they need to know.

The TDC has a pretty good section on their website that advises visitors what they need to know about our restaurants and shops, what they should bring with them in terms of supplies, etc. All of this will be important to update and communicate to visitors throughout the summer.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Let’s not forget that hotels and resorts have been open. We also didn’t have any jump in infections post spring break. We were correct to be overly cautious with the response to the virus but so far it’s proving out to be a lot less of a problem, especially for those without underlying health issues. The “flu” would have put these same people in harms way, too.

Let’s stop saying the STR’s are holding 20+ people in them. This is NOT at all the majority of the STR’s around here. Most places are 2-3 BR’s occupied by families who have likely already been around each other so they pose more more of a threat than anyone else.
Many of our hotels closed until just recently because of strict protocols, limits on occupancy, and limited dining options available for guests. And protection of their staff. Many have just opened or will be opening to a new normal. They will still have to meet certain protocols. I'm not sure what the occupancy limit will be in place if any. Certain hotels have quietly remained open to a reduced capacity. The idea was to have hotels remain open for essential travel. Not sure if that has been a good thing or not but having hotels open hasn't been a big factor as far as I have seen or heard.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
According to officials, Walton County has developed a reopening plan framework for vacation rentals and is awaiting the guidelines from the DPBR.

“With those guideline in hand, we will compare them with our prepared plan to ensure that it complies with the DPBR guidelines,” wrote Walton County. “We are working closely with our Tallahassee lobbyist and the Governor’s office to facilitate this process and to move our plan through the system as rapidly as possible.”

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
tMsSPJ0vuhHP5ds-obe7gjqsgG9LpRhBtJe3ePg78onx-9q25DSbovnZbJJSjCict_JhyVOQG4IO_ItsrCoeLjEri5rgQ-RmPCv6muVkTuYfQbMSEqDPbg=s0-d-e1-ft

May 19, 2020

Governor Ron DeSantis has accepted the Walton County Board of County Commissioners’ proposed plan of enhanced cleaning and safety practices, clearing the way for the BCC to reopen short term vacation rentals in Walton County, which they did at an emergency meeting on Tuesday afternoon. This action is effective immediately.

Vacation Rentals can now once again rent in Walton County, as long as they are following
the guidelines set out by the BCC. As part of the governor’s reopening plan, reservations cannot be accepted for dates within the next 45 days (as of 5/19) from the following states, which are deemed COVID-19 hotspots: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Louisiana.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I really feel bad for all the places (stores,restaurants) that just recently got the word they could open to limited capacity,(meaning they are NOT fully staffed) being told "hey here ya go....Memorial weekend with full occupancy!"

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I really feel bad for all the places (stores,restaurants) that just recently got the word they could open to limited capacity,(meaning they are NOT fully staffed) being told "hey here ya go....Memorial weekend with full occupancy!"
Or they are thrilled with a glass half full. Have you ever seen one?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Florida Phase 2
Effective June 5

Governor DeSantis:
I'm pleased to announce that the Original Phase 1 Florida counties (all except Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach) may enter Phase 2 effective Friday, June 5, 2020.

For more information on Phase 2 in Florida, see the full presentation here: https://bit.ly/36UrFuq

FB_IMG_1591385655228.jpg