• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Walton County Emergency Operations Center - Joint Information Center – COVID-19 Case Update

As of the Florida Department of Health – Walton County's 10:00 a.m. update, Walton County has 0 positive tests. This brings us to a total of 976 tests conducted resulting in 77 positives and 898 negatives.

DeFuniak Springs (45)
Santa Rosa Beach (11)
Miramar Beach (3)
Freeport (4)
Paxton (1)
Non-Residents (13)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
COVID-19 Testing Update from Walton County Emergency Management Joint Information Center (JIC) May 18, 2020.

Walton County has 4 additional positive tests. Forty- six cases are either residents or staff that have tested positive from the Chautauqua Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Additionally, Walton County has registered one additional death, bringing our total to 3.

Updated information can also be found at:
Florida Department of Health in Walton
www.floridahealth.gov
www.cdc.gov

FB_IMG_1589823147995.jpg

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
How will we know what areas the non-residents were living in or visiting?

Nearly all of the cases in DeFuniak are the result of an outbreak in a nursing home, and I doubt many people are visiting or living in their second homes in Freeport and Paxton. An easy deduction would be at the beaches.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
How will we know what areas the non-residents were living in or visiting?
After this article this morning I dont think will will ever know the true numbers.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CBS12) — As Florida starts to reopen, the architect and manager of Florida's COVID-19 dashboard, announced she'd been removed from her position, Florida Today reported.

Rebekah Jones said in an email to CBS12 News that her removal was "not voluntary" and that she was removed from her position because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

Jones made the announcement May 5 in a farewell email to researchers and other members of the public who had signed up to receive updates on the data portal, according to Florida Today. She said that for "reasons beyond my division's control," her office is no longer managing the dashboard, involved in its publication, fixing errors or answering any questions.

Florida's COVID-19 dashboard, created by a team of Florida Department of Health data scientists and public health officers led by Jones, was praised by White House officials for its accessibility, the Florida Daily reported. But over the last few weeks, it "crashed and went offline, data disappeared with no explanation and access to the underlying data sheets became difficult."

Jones told CBS12 News that since she's been removed, the dashboard still hasn't been fully repaired.

CBS12 News reached out to the Florida Department of Health for comment and is waiting to hear back.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Nearly all of the cases in DeFuniak are the result of an outbreak in a nursing home, and I doubt many people are visiting or living in their second homes in Freeport and Paxton. An easy deduction would be at the beaches.
It's been reported those are people that work at the nursing home and live in Alabama.

GatorsGal

Beach Comber
Nov 5, 2007
The deciding body for the University system in the state of Florida is moving forward with plans to try and open the university campuses in the state starting this fall. After taking most of the spring semester and all of the summer semester to close campuses in Florida, the group is looking at what the universities are planning in order to make a decision later next month.

We are trying to get back to norms here in Florida as well as all across the country and part of that norm is college sports, which we have been without since early March. Opening up the campuses would be a huge first step.

The Florida Board of Governors released a statement on how they plan to get everything rolling in the fall.

TALLAHASSEE – The State University System Task Force has been working diligently for weeks to put in place a framework for re-opening university campuses in the fall. As the task force continues its work, Board of Governors’ chair Syd Kitson has directed State University System Chancellor, Marshall Criser III, to develop guidelines to present to the Board of Governors at a public meeting on May 28, 2020. Universities will then present their individual plans, based on these guidelines, to the Board of Governors at a board meeting on June 23, 2020.

“The task force is focusing on developing guidelines that will prioritize the health and well-being of students, faculty, staff, vendors, and visitors as our institutions continue to battle the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Chair Kitson. “Our measured and thoughtful approach will be informed by science and medical professionals, and we are working hard to develop sound guidelines that enhance campus safety, as well as continue to meet the Board’s rigorous academic performance and student success goals.”

In setting these guidelines, the task force has recognized that each university has a dedicated mission with unique strengths and characteristics, as well as an extraordinary environment that includes densely populated urban areas, more rural settings and students from all regions of the state, the nation, and the world.

“Over the last few months the State University System has risen to the COVID-19 challenge by nimbly and effectively moving classes to remote instruction, and also stepping up by giving back to their communities and leveraging their expertise to address some of the most critical challenges posed by this global pandemic,” said Chancellor Marshall Criser, III. “As we move forward with a framework for the fall, we will be mindful that a healthy campus environment and academic rigor remain paramount.”

This doesn’t answer the question about sports and whether they will be played or how they will be played in terms of fans in the stands, but it is a major step forward to making it happen.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
It's been reported those are people that work at the nursing home and live in Alabama.

Could be that, then. To be honest, I’ve stopped chasing numbers for the sake of sanity because there’s so many conflicting reports on who, what, and where. I pop in here to find out what’s going on locally and focus the rest of my energy on harping on my teenagers about obsessively washing their hands and wearing masks when they need to go somewhere.

Kurt and Theresa, if you happen to read this reply, I wanted to let you know my family and I really appreciate you. Thanks for keeping our little community as informed as you possibly can during this time.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Could be that, then. To be honest, I’ve stopped chasing numbers for the sake of sanity because there’s so many conflicting reports on who, what, and where. I pop in here to find out what’s going on locally and focus the rest of my energy on harping on my teenagers about obsessively washing their hands and wearing masks when they need to go somewhere.

Kurt and Theresa, if you happen to read this reply, I wanted to let you know my family and I really appreciate you. Thanks for keeping our little community as informed as you possibly can during this time.
You're welcome. It's what we live for. :lol: