• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Wasn't there some town hall meetings about this? My guess as to why it died is that there are not enough "progressives" who love more government, living in the county to get it passed. It would mean more taxes and who wants to pay more taxes?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It would mean more taxes, at a mutually agreed upon level dependent on what services the incorporated "town" would provide. But it would also allow the community to enact more sensible restrictions on development and rules to keep development from getting way beyond the capacity of the infrastructure to handle. There were several town hall meetings and they were well attended. The reason it did not proceed is simply that the county commissioners talked Brad Drake into throwing the idea into the trash. Without his sponsorship, it could not legally proceed to the next step.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
My feeling was and always has been, that it would cost more and for those who hate the way local government operates the same people would be attempting to get their folks elected in SoWal. If folks want to change how Walton County is they need to go vote. That is just my opinion.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Bob, I think you hit the nail squarely. The same people would be getting their folks elected in city govt just as they do at the county level.

LVToo: "It would mean more taxes, at a mutually agreed upon level...." Just who would be doing the mutually agreeing on the taxes and the services provided?

Finding and backing good candidates for the BCC is the place to start. Donating and voting are the next steps.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Bob, I think you hit the nail squarely. The same people would be getting their folks elected in city govt just as they do at the county level.

LVToo: "It would mean more taxes, at a mutually agreed upon level...." Just who would be doing the mutually agreeing on the taxes and the services provided?

Finding and backing good candidates for the BCC is the place to start. Donating and voting are the next steps.

I think things would be better if we didn't vote on commissioners outside of the district one lives in. I know as much about the needs in Paxton as the average Paxtonian knows about those of south Walton. It is absurd that we mutually choose one another's commissioner.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
I think things would be better if we didn't vote on commissioners outside of the district one lives in. I know as much about the needs in Paxton as the average Paxtonian knows about those of south Walton. It is absurd that we mutually choose one another's commissioner.
And that South Walton only has 2. And that they are owned by business and developers.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Why not incorporate Santa Rosa Beach? Might have to annex Rosemary, Seacrest, Inlet and Alys.
I think the original idea was to make South Walton a city and that didn't fly. And I doubt that it would have guaranteed that the new "city" would change the politics like the activists would like. It'll probably be a long time before Walton County turns blue.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
I think the original idea was to make South Walton a city and that didn't fly. And I doubt that it would have guaranteed that the new "city" would change the politics like the activists would like. It'll probably be a long time before Walton County turns blue.
I don't think a blue city was the goal. It was getting out from under ignorant rednecks who don't live in our area and don't care about us or our environment and only see us as a cash cow.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The state will never allow a county split. It would create an instantly impoverished (look at a definition before you take offense) interior county that the state would constantly be bailing out.

Despite some who see everything through their upturned trunk, this progressive/liberal is very much against incorporation. Despite broad assumptions liberals/progressives don't love taxes, but generally have a good enough education to understand why paying taxes is a civic duty.

Incorporation is a waste of time, effort and money. Getting better representation on the BCC would be a good start, but the same folks blinded by partisanship here are dumb enough to vote party over person.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Yes this was it. Was talking to someone who had mentioned the County but meant the city. Got lost in translation. Thanks

Bob, A bi partisan group was formed several years ago (2014) to create The Town of South Walton.

Three districts, two city commissioners per district and an mayor. All representatives have to live full time in South Walton for South Walton. Non partisan voting. The goal was to have full representation by people who live in South Walton.

Opposition based in fear of higher taxes, and the necessity and failure to have our local Legislative House Representative be fully behind the local Legislative Bill killed the effort.

The feasibility study and all other documents are on the website link HERE: Document Center – A Better South Walton

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 6.52.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-02 at 6.52.34 AM.png

Last edited: