• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Texas man dies after being pulled from Gulf in South Walton

A 47-year-old Texas man died Tuesday after he was pulled from the Gulf of Mexico in South Walton County, officials say.

Michael Willard Bratcher was in the water just west of the Walton Dunes Beach Access when several bystanders noticed he was in distress, Beach Safety Director David Vaughan said.

Double red flags were flying at the time.

One of the bystanders tried to rescue Bratcher. After he was pulled onto the beach, Walton County sheriff’s deputies and crews from the South Walton Fire District arrived and took over lifesaving efforts, according to a field case report from the Sheriff’s Office.

Bratcher was taken to Ascension Sacred Heart Emerald Coast hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Bratcher was one of 11 people pulled from the Gulf in South Walton on Tuesday. There were 18 rescues before 2 p.m. Wednesday, according to officials.

This could have been prevented.

Last edited by a moderator:

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
Hate to say it, but probably one of these tourons that has the attitude - I spent all this money to come to the beach and nobody is going to tell me I cannot swim in the gulf.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
We really need a flag system that would let people know when it simply is not safe to enter the water.

A black flag with a skull and cross bones on it perhaps? Because honestly, I don’t know what it’s going to take to keep people out of the water when it’s dangerous for them to be there.

This is such a sad thing to happen, and so completely preventable. It’s genuinely heartbreaking to know a family is returning home with one less person, and it’s not likely to be the last family that has to do that.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Hate to say it, but probably one of these tourons that has the attitude - I spent all this money to come to the beach and nobody is going to tell me I cannot swim in the gulf.
You are probably correct...it wouldnt be the first person (the name Aldean comes to mind). I heard that a woman with her children walked right by the responders into the water in the area they had just pulled the man from.