• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Florida sees more new cases than any other state - 13,000 new cases this week.
Doctors protest in Tallahassee and demand Florida Governor require masks.
Florida Governor vows no lockdown for any reason.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm not sure why we aren't seeing local safety measures being emphasized to the public. Who is in charge in Walton County?

We are very fortunate so far to keep our numbers low and stable, with the exception of a nursing home in Defuniak Springs. Amazing considering the summer season crowds. I haven't heard anything concerning about hospitals or spikes in cases in South Walton County. The numbers in Santa Rosa Beach and Miramar Beach total less than 35 known cases for the entire period of time so far.

We still need to stress safety precautions for moving around in public including masks, social distancing, small groups and what safety precautions should be taken in businesses, to keep numbers down and to protect our community for the short and long term.

Some towns and businesses are doing a great job with their precautions. I went to Salon Twist for a haircut yesterday for the first time and their safety procedures are outstanding. I appreciated it and they have gained customers as a result of their caution. They have regulations that must be met to be open as a salon and they are going beyond as well. Wearing a mask was such an easy thing to do. It's not perfect but it's one of several tools we can use to move around more in public.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Walton County pandemic response though I would like to see more official guidance given to everyone including visitors. Guidance targeted to a busy tourist destination that promotes safety based on the science and what we know about the pandemic. We can promote safety and business at the same time.

Stay safe and use common sense! Some of our visitors are doing what they can to protect themselves and our community. Though I have heard from some locals and visitors who have observed that the crowds here are not social distancing or using precautions. I suppose it depends on where you are along the beaches.

Last edited:

MrSunshine

Beach Lover
Oct 15, 2019
Seagrove Beach
The beach does not seem to be the problem.
Grocery stores, restaurants, fish stores and box stores are extremely non compliant. Official guidance is not the problem. People are the problem. I called a "favorite" restaurant the other day for a reservation and they said "I can squeeze you in" - I said no thanks, I don't want to be squeezed in! Family outings to the grocery store (or any store) is simply stupid. Why can't one person buy this stuff? Standard operating procedure is some countries.
I'm not scared but I'm not stupid. Respect others - I wear a mask to protect YOU! Return the favor is all I'm asking! Go down the one way aisle as marked. Keep your social distance PLEASE.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The beach does not seem to be the problem.
Grocery stores, restaurants, fish stores and box stores are extremely non compliant. Official guidance is not the problem. People are the problem. I called a "favorite" restaurant the other day for a reservation and they said "I can squeeze you in" - I said no thanks, I don't want to be squeezed in! Family outings to the grocery store (or any store) is simply stupid. Why can't one person buy this stuff? Standard operating procedure is some countries.
I'm not scared but I'm not stupid. Respect others - I wear a mask to protect YOU! Return the favor is all I'm asking! Go down the one way aisle as marked. Keep your social distance PLEASE.

I agree with everything you say here. Some restaurants, shops and businesses are really going above and beyond on safety measures for the sake of their employees and customers - go there.

Many believe it's back to business as usual as long as you're at the beach. We literally have no one telling them otherwise. Not sure the answer but it does seem like there is a missing link here in a little beach town with a LOT of summer visitors.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Florida Department of Health Issues Additional Public Health Advisory in response to COVID-19

by: Tess Rowland

Posted: Jun 21, 2020 / 02:25 PM CDT / Updated: Jun 21, 2020 / 02:25 PM CDT
AP797274936581.jpg

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WMBB) — The Florida Department of Health issued an additional Public Health Advisory in response to COVID-19 on Saturday, June 20, 2020. Listed below are the recommendations suggested to protect Floridians from the virus. The Department of Health has purchased 20 million facemasks, which are being actively distributed to mitigate the spread of the virus. In addition, the Governor has also directed the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation to increase inspections to ensure that businesses are adhering to applicable Phase 1 and Phase 2 guidance.

The Public Health Advisory provides the following recommendations:
  1. All individuals in Florida should wear masks in any setting where social distancing is not possible, unless any of the following apply:
    • A child is under two years of age;
    • An individual has one or more medical conditions or disabilities that prevent wearing a face covering;
    • An individual is obtaining a service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service;
    • An individual works in a profession where use of a face covering will not be compatible with the duties of the profession; or
    • An individual is engaged in outdoor work or recreation with appropriate social distancing in place.
  2. All individuals over the age of 65 and all individuals of any age with high-risk health conditions should limit personal interactions outside of the home and take all measures to limit the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
  3. All individuals should refrain from participation in social or recreational gatherings of more than 50 people. For all gatherings of fewer than 50 people, individuals should practice social distancing by maintaining a distance of at least six feet from each other and wearing a face covering.
This is a reinforcement of the previously issued advisory as well as direction that has been provided in the task force report for a Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. Plan for Florida’s Recovery.

Currently, 64 counties are in Phase 2, which dictates:

Restaurants, bars and other vendors licensed to sell alcoholic beverages, excluding nightclubs:
  • May operate at fifty percent of the establishment’s indoor capacity.
  • May operate at full capacity outside with appropriate social distancing.
  • Bar areas may operate with seated service.
Entertainment businesses, including but not limited to movie theaters, concert houses, auditoriums, playhouses, bowling alleys and arcades:
  • May operate at fifty percent of the establishment’s capacity with appropriate social distancing between groups and proper sanitization protocols.
In-store retail businesses:
  • May operate at full capacity with appropriate social distancing measures and proper sanitization protocols.
Gyms and fitness centers:
  • May operate at full capacity with appropriate social distancing and frequent sanitization.
Personal services including but not limited to tattooing, body piercing, tanning and massage:
  • May operate while adhering to appropriate safety guidelines outlined by the Florida Department of Health.
Barber shops, hair salons and nail salons:
  • May continue to operate while adhering to safety protocols.
Phase 2 continued emphasis on preventative measures outlined by the CDC and OSHA:
  • Senior citizens and individuals with a significant underlying medical condition are strongly encouraged to avoid crowds and take measures to limit the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
  • Individuals should avoid gathering in groups larger than 50.
  • All persons who work in long-term care facilities should be tested for COVID-19 on a routine basis.
The three counties with the highest number of cases (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties) are still in Phase 1, which dictates:

Restaurants and food establishments:
  • May operate at fifty percent capacity with proper social distancing.
  • Outdoor seating is encouraged.
Retail establishments:
  • May operate at up to fifty percent capacity indoors with appropriate social distancing measures and proper sanitization protocols.
Museums and libraries:
  • May operate at up to fifty percent capacity if permitted by local governments.
Gyms and fitness centers:
  • May operate at up to fifty percent capacity with appropriate social distancing and sufficient sanitization measures.
Barber shops, hair salons, and nail salons:
  • May operate while adhering to safety protocols.
Florida Department of Health Issues Additional Public Health Advisory in response to COVID-19

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
All bars across the state of Florida can no longer serve alcohol for "on premises consumption."

Halsey Beshears, the secretary of Florida's Department of Business and Professional Regulation, announced Friday that the state is "suspending on premises consumption of alcohol at bars statewide."

The order goes into effect immediately.

The order cites younger individuals "who have disregarded the restrictions" set forth by the state to combat the spread of the coronavirus as a reason for the action.

"Based on recent increases in COVID-19 cases and non-compliance with previous orders, DBPR has taken action to suspend on-premises alcohol sales at bars," Beshears said in a written statement. "DBPR believes this is a necessary step to take to protect public health as we continue working in partnership with industry and health officials to combat COVID-19."

Sixty-four counties in Florida, excluding Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties, are currently under Phase Two of Florida's reopening plan, meaning restaurants may allow bar-top seating with appropriate social distancing, and bars and pubs may operate at 50% capacity inside and full capacity outside with appropriate social distancing.

According to the latest numbers from the Florida Department of Health on Friday, there are 122,960 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, a record increase of 8,942 cases from the day before.