• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Panama City Beach, Panama City and Mexico Beach all have different funds under the direction of the Bay County TDC, and I've never seen anyone over there complain about that :dunno:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The north can have a separate district, attaching it to the existing TDC is purely a money grab.
I emailed a Commissioner and he explained the money collected would only be used north of the bay as the money collected south of the bay would be used there. He did say the admin cost would come from the money collected from south of the bay.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Admin cost should be negligible, as the Clerk's Office already has the technology and the staff in place.
Though it might be a good time to hand it over to the Tax Collector's Office :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Panama City Beach, Panama City and Mexico Beach all have different funds under the direction of the Bay County TDC, and I've never seen anyone over there complain about that :dunno:

Wonder if this is normal procedure in most Florida counties? Seems like it should be. And why was north Walton not already part of TDC in every way?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Wonder if this is normal procedure in most Florida counties? Seems like it should be. And why was north Walton not already part of TDC in every way?

Because the original purpose of the Tourist Development Tax was to support marketing and maintenance of the Beaches of South Walton. There was no reason to enact the tax north of the Bay, therefore no representation on the board. A couple of years ago they did some promotion of the Biophilia Center east of Freeport and some of the beach properties howled about that. North of the bridge and South of the bridge...unfortunately is still an issue.

Remember when it was known as the South Walton TDC, and suddenly (actual an evolution, but it caught me by surprise) it was now the Walton County TDC?? That was a move toward unification.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton County voters north of the Choctawhatchee Bay approved a 2% tax on short-term rentals that will help promote and market North Walton businesses, attractions and events related to tourism. Other portions of the funds may also be used for infrastructure improvements. The referendum, which was voted on as part of the Nov. 3 General Election, was approved by a vote of 11,455 (55.95%) to 9,010 (44.05%).

Collection of the North Walton TDT will begin March 1 and is expected to generate approximately $300,000 in the first year.