• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mark Mitchell

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2020
Louisiana
Hi All,
Not sure the best subforum to post this in....We are thinking about making the move permanently to 30A next year. We really like Watercolor and Draper Lake and were just wondering if anybody on here lives in either year round with kids and can answer a few questions. Thanks much and stay healthy!

Tyler T

Beach Lover
Aug 24, 2010
Hi Mark - they are completely different in that WaterColor is inundated with tourists most of the time. Which might be fun for awhile but would get old fast. I wouldn't choose that way of life for kids. Draper lake might be too quiet for kids but there is a pool, trails and the lake ,and plenty of activities nearby. It would be a good choice.
Living along 30A gets tiring and is very hectic in Spring and summer. Take a look also at Watersound origins.
Good luck and welcome. :wave: (And btw real locals call where we live SoWal or South Walton. "30A" is a road or a brand, not a place. ;) )

Joseph Beck

Beach Comber
May 13, 2020
North Alabama
We made the move a few months ago into a long term rental in Watercolor. We got in a rental to test the waters and learn about the area and where we want to be long-term and know within just a couple of months that this isn’t the place to be full-time. I can’t recommend Watercolor, especially with kids. Lots and lots of traffic and renters with new neighbors every week, our kids can’t really make friends, especially with the current situation with schools. We just went under contract on a house in Watersound West Beach and I’d recommend any of the Watersound neighborhoods very highly!! Happy to answer any questions but can’t say I’m a pro or anything, we are only a few months into living down here full-time.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Hi All,
Not sure the best subforum to post this in....We are thinking about making the move permanently to 30A next year. We really like Watercolor and Draper Lake and were just wondering if anybody on here lives in either year round with kids and can answer a few questions. Thanks much and stay healthy!
Would love to hear your story. How are you able to move to South Walton with the low jobs and high cost of living?

Mark Mitchell

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2020
Louisiana
Hi Dawn,
Well here it goes....
My wife and I (early 40's) both have jobs that allow us to live where we want. I am a retired military pilot now flying commercial and she is in medical device sales. When I retired from the military last year, I realized this is the first time in 20 years we can actually choose to live wherever we want. We both love the area. At first we were just going to buy an investment property to use and rent throughout the year but recently we seriously started to consider just moving full time. Now I'd say we are almost definitely gonna take the leap within a year or two, max.

Cost of Living: I guess I don't really consider SoWal "high cost of living." Yes, compared to other parts of Florida it's more expensive, but not really compared to what I am used to. I grew up in northern NJ just outside NY City and lived in California for 10 years and those areas are crazy crazy expensive. Florida has no state income tax and real estate taxes are on par or even lower than most states at 1%. Yes, my house purchase price will be double what we paid here for our home in Louisiana (N'Awlins area), but we won't be paying state income tax or shelling out $12-15K a year for private school like we do here so our cost of living isn't really going up much or even at all in the grand scheme of things. Plus, we won't be spending thousands of $$ every year visiting 30A since we'll live there :)

Growing up my family and I vacationed in upstate NY to the lakes around the Adirondacks and Lake George. That's why when I saw the Draper Lake development I loved it. The Adirondack style lake houses 1/4 mile to the beach is incredible to me. Of course, like a lot of families I'm sure, its daunting to make the move to a "vacation area" full time with kids. But we figured, hey, if they are really unhappy in a few years we can always move elsewhere so I think we are gonna give it a shot. We'll definitely take a peek at the Watersound neighborhoods as well, but I am really drawn to the Draper style houses on the lake. We have also always wanted to build a house so buying a lot and building is very appealing.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Hi Dawn,
Well here it goes....
My wife and I (early 40's) both have jobs that allow us to live where we want. I am a retired military pilot now flying commercial and she is in medical device sales. When I retired from the military last year, I realized this is the first time in 20 years we can actually choose to live wherever we want. We both love the area. At first we were just going to buy an investment property to use and rent throughout the year but recently we seriously started to consider just moving full time. Now I'd say we are almost definitely gonna take the leap within a year or two, max.

Cost of Living: I guess I don't really consider SoWal "high cost of living." Yes, compared to other parts of Florida it's more expensive, but not really compared to what I am used to. I grew up in northern NJ just outside NY City and lived in California for 10 years and those areas are crazy crazy expensive. Florida has no state income tax and real estate taxes are on par or even lower than most states at 1%. Yes, my house purchase price will be double what we paid here for our home in Louisiana (N'Awlins area), but we won't be paying state income tax or shelling out $12-15K a year for private school like we do here so our cost of living isn't really going up much or even at all in the grand scheme of things. Plus, we won't be spending thousands of $$ every year visiting 30A since we'll live there :)

Growing up my family and I vacationed in upstate NY to the lakes around the Adirondacks and Lake George. That's why when I saw the Draper Lake development I loved it. The Adirondack style lake houses 1/4 mile to the beach is incredible to me. Of course, like a lot of families I'm sure, its daunting to make the move to a "vacation area" full time with kids. But we figured, hey, if they are really unhappy in a few years we can always move elsewhere so I think we are gonna give it a shot. We'll definitely take a peek at the Watersound neighborhoods as well, but I am really drawn to the Draper style houses on the lake. We have also always wanted to build a house so buying a lot and building is very appealing.
Great story -thanks! Draper would be a good choice and I like the style as well - Craftsman influenced - Sharks Tooth Golf Club just over the Bay County line on Lake Powell also has that style. I know a husband and wife in Grayton who are ex navy pilots. I think she was the first woman to land on a carrier.

Kelly McAtee

Beach Crab
Aug 7, 2020
Williamsburg, Virginia
Hi Dawn,
Well here it goes....

Hi Mark,
We, too, are moving to the area soon, and, oddly enough, my husband is a retired military pilot (F-16 and 22) and now a commercial pilot (American), as well! We just sold our house in Virginia and will be doing a tour of the western U.S. before buying in SoWal. We still have two kids in the house (ages 10 and 14....our older three have fled the nest) and are researching non-stop for the best neighborhood to settle in. I would love to know where you guys settle down, as well as what other neighborhoods you strongly considered.

Cheers!
Kelly

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Hi Mark,
We, too, are moving to the area soon, and, oddly enough, my husband is a retired military pilot (F-16 and 22) and now a commercial pilot (American), as well! We just sold our house in Virginia and will be doing a tour of the western U.S. before buying in SoWal. We still have two kids in the house (ages 10 and 14....our older three have fled the nest) and are researching non-stop for the best neighborhood to settle in. I would love to know where you guys settle down, as well as what other neighborhoods you strongly considered.

Cheers!
Kelly
What are your criteria?