• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kelly McAtee

Beach Crab
Aug 7, 2020
Williamsburg, Virginia
Hi there, Bob1-
Well, let's see. We're all runners, so backing up to the state park would be really nice. I'd like to be near (not in) some non-rental neighborhoods so our kids can be near other kids their ages. We plan to rent our house during the summers while we travel elsewhere, hence being near -- and not in-- non-rental neighborhoods. I'd prefer, of course, that many of the neighbors are year-round residents, but I know that's asking a lot! We like walking to restaurants, coffee shops, etc (that's a big one for us) and would like to be no more than .5 mile from the beach.

The neighborhoods we've focused on, thus far, are The Preserve at Grayton Beach, the Seagrove Beach area (close to Seaside but not in it), and the Seacrest Beach area just west of Kaiya.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!
Kelly

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Hey Kelly.

We recently built a home in Seacrest (west of Kaiya) and really enjoy it. We're in SoWal every 2 or 3 weekends. We ride our bikes to eat and drink! Check out Magnolia Cottages by the Sea. They started Phase III Dream Cottages...1/2 mile to beach and it backs up to Deer Lake State Park!

Good Luck!

Mark Mitchell

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2020
Louisiana
Hi Mark,
We, too, are moving to the area soon, and, oddly enough, my husband is a retired military pilot (F-16 and 22) and now a commercial pilot (American), as well! We just sold our house in Virginia and will be doing a tour of the western U.S. before buying in SoWal. We still have two kids in the house (ages 10 and 14....our older three have fled the nest) and are researching non-stop for the best neighborhood to settle in. I would love to know where you guys settle down, as well as what other neighborhoods you strongly considered.

Cheers!
Kelly

Sounds great Kelly, we are headed to Santa Rosa Labor Day weekend to scope out a lot. If you want to shoot me your email I can keep you in the loop with where we end up. Safe travels to you guys

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Updates on southwaltoncc.org. Also, be careful in Seagrove around Eastern Lake. Major development going in on 30A - Greenway Station and the Lodge 30A. Good luck!

Kelly McAtee

Beach Crab
Aug 7, 2020
Williamsburg, Virginia
Sounds great Kelly, we are headed to Santa Rosa Labor Day weekend to scope out a lot. If you want to shoot me your email I can keep you in the loop with where we end up. Safe travels to you guys
Definitely, Mark. That would be great!

We're headed there next week to look at one house that looks promising, but we're also staying open to building. I'd love to hear your thoughts/findings on Draper Lake and the proposed Horton development, as well as any general thoughts about other neighborhoods you guys consider.

We look forward to meeting you both someday!

Take care,
Kelly

Kelly McAtee

Beach Crab
Aug 7, 2020
Williamsburg, Virginia
Hey Kelly.

We recently built a home in Seacrest (west of Kaiya) and really enjoy it. We're in SoWal every 2 or 3 weekends. We ride our bikes to eat and drink! Check out Magnolia Cottages by the Sea. They started Phase III Dream Cottages...1/2 mile to beach and it backs up to Deer Lake State Park!

Good Luck!
Thank you! We will check it out!

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Hello Mark,
I fly for UPS and have lived in Watercolor full time for 10 years. My wife and I do love WC but being patient with the summer renters is a must. We love the WC amenities, beach access and ability to go to Publix, Seaside and restaurants via bicycle, especially in the summer when traffic is heavy.
Don’t know where you are domiciled but commuting can be challenging during spring break and the summer as flights are full.
(We also lived in NOLA)
Cheers
Joby