• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I see a lot of job postings offering $10/hour. I think from what I've seen over the years South Walton employers pay a little more becasue they have to when labor pool is short. Rent is higher but the cost of living is very high here and tourist pricing for lodging and food and goods is crazy high.

Should SoWal wages be higher? If you're an employer or an employee what do you think? Can you pay more for quality help? Do things work for you are you profitable? What about employees? Are you making ends meet? Can you pay rent? Do you have to live outside of SoWal to make rent?

Personally I've been here a long time and fortunate to have low expenses and decent pay.

SeaFern

Beach Lover
Dec 2, 2007
pt. washington & niceville
I agree with Matt & Jim. Hourly pay is mostly pitiful here, especially for the cost of living/groceries as you stated above, Jim T. I needed a part time job as backup in 2009 and it paid $9 per hour. 12 years ago!!! Employers who think their jobs are easy or "fun" so don't have to pay much, need to experience a full day of being on the front lines during tourist season for the same pay rate as they pay their employees. Target is now paying $13...so if you are a biz and can't attract or hold onto employees, you might want to reevaluate your pay rate.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Part of the problem is all the transient labor who work cheap because they want to be here for the summer, or want to live at the beach - retail, valets, beach service, interneships, dishwashers, etc.

If you need quality labor you have to pay. I know one of the reasons Bud & Alley's gets and keeps good people is because they pay more and have benefits.