• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beacher

Beach Lover
Apr 9, 2020
Got this email and it jolted me.

We need your support NOW!

Dear Fellow Citizens,

The time is NOW to take a stand against Private Development on Eastern Lake!

The Walton County BCC has the opportunity to Purchase the Russell Property at the Eastern Lake Outfall.
V0dZ2m6pZbFm_lzhM276jMOq1w0XvDDuNS8R8XA-Kx7DT94tNewJABGsyyW2nODR4lXorobzQv87c19Blnd24RmUqGjc8eI9K-TjgINw9-ZF6TJJCFKgTsZFRsAdl4W5vji-aCZ2z_0LgrL8OmuJHzt3H-0SGP1Ior4w1Q=s0-d-e1-ft

t9wry-zfI9omc4uR6aAD-KaG-YXevlGt2yOAl2NVgZUYhIdY4k5fR7QRPyHSDhjS3Evk6c12uZWaFjo4oU7TOXgUcGr4H02nGpfhjt80yYuws2zf27W3Y0enlPqlF_kHVLq_Dy5TGYWq_m-gJRWLx_nnkYpFxA=s0-d-e1-ft

Sign the Petition at:
www.saveeasternlake.com

This Property will be discussed at the Next BCC meeting on:
Tuesday, October 26th at 9:00 AM
at the South Walton Courthouse Annex.

You can see the meeting agenda here:
https://walton.civicweb.net/Portal/MeetingInformation.aspx?Org=Cal&Id=1182

About the Property

This is a VERY Special Property that we have wanted to purchase for many years. It is the last and ONLY large undeveloped beachfront parcel in the Eastern Lake Area.

What’s at Stake?

If purchased by the County.............

The property can be used to build a MUCH NEEDED Regional Beach Access for the Eastern Lake Area.

If Not Purchased by the County (Now).........
It will almost certainly be sold for private development of a Monster House, Condos, or Private Beach Club. It will most likely be privatized and not open for public use.

There has been lots of talk about Large Developers being interested in the Parcel including St. Joe and DR Horton. Given the Current Market Conditions thats not surprising. St Joe is currently building a new hotel/condos on 30A directly north of this parcel. This Hotel/Condo complex does not have any Beach Access of its own, making the Russell Property a very desirable potential purchase.

The Bottom Line is this is our last chance to preserve this land for Future Generations.

The sad reality is if we Do Not Purchase it NOW, we are merely approving it to be developed and privatized.

Funding Options

There are many options to fund the purchase of this property. It can be purchased with Bed Tax Dollars collected by the TDC, meaning ZERO Tax Payer dollars would be needed.

It also clearly qualifies for several grants and triumph fund dollars.

All that is REQUIRED is Grassroots Citizen Support to make this happen!

We have built a website that has more info and talking points to support the purchase if you wish to help spread the word.
Website is here:
www.saveeasternlake.com

Now is the time to act!
Please sign the petition below to ask the BCC to purchase this property at FAIR MARKET VALUE to be used for Preservation and Public use.

Also please sign up for email alerts to be notified about any future BCC meetings where this property will be discussed.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY……

PLEASE ATTEND THE BCC MEETING THIS TUESDAY AT 9AM AT THE SOUTH WALTON ANNEX.

Please direct any questions and concerns to:
Robin Walters Haynes
(205) 222-2789
haynesw@bellsouth.net

More info can be found at our website here:
www.saveeasternlake.com

Thank You and God Bless Walton County!

Save Eastern Lake

Pbpb

Beach Comber
Mar 6, 2021
Rosemary
The price being discussed is insane, but they need that property so I am all for it.

Whatever it takes.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The price being discussed is insane, but they need that property so I am all for it.

Whatever it takes.

I'm on the fence about the price. Where else is there 3 acres of Gulf front property even available? Ultimately this guy can't build what he wants so the county should probably low ball him or simply wait.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm on the fence about the price. Where else is there 3 acres of Gulf front property even available? Ultimately this guy can't build what he wants so the county should probably low ball him or simply wait.
I was at the meeting yesterday, and everyone in the room was on the same page about wanting the County to buy the property. About the price tag, only two people were good with it. (Russell & Shipman). But the County voted to begin the process of getting two appraisals. The two main determining factors, in my opinion, are (1) Whether the county will use some of it's general funds, to help make the purchase, and take monetary pressure off the TDC's acquisition account, and (2) the fact that Peter Russell seems very adamant about closing this deal before the end of this year. If these three parties can give just a little bit, this thing could go through.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
this dude is about to score big off some useless lot that cant be built on.
Yes, he is, but if you think about it, the money has come from the tourists, not you or me. Trust me, it truly sticks in my craw, but it’s the right thing to do for generations to come.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
...or beaches for that matter?!? Don't understand why beachfront lots weren't sold with property lines that end at the dunes (?)
Yeah there was no one watching anything back then - it was a cluster bomb of a land grab. Imagine if there was a hundred yard or more buffer from the dunes and lakes, and Scenic 30A was north of all lakes ... what could have been.

If not for state lands we would be even more screwed.