• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
My only peeve with short-term vacationers (apart from the beach environmental issues, where I think some tough love is warranted rather than education) that might be working its way up to being a full-fledged bias is bringing more cars than allowed for their house, when the number of parking spaces is clearly indicated. Yet, we have renters who arrive in virtual SUV caravans--with license plates all from the same state--and simply park their cars on the street, a violation of community rules, a safety hazard, and an eyesore. Or, they simply park their excess cars in other's driveways or block other's cars in. Don't get that logic either--I don't tell my friends to park in my neighbor's driveway if mine is used up.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Perhaps we can have a new thread for "Most Bizzare Rental Experience"

It might give the homeowner's an opportunity to blow off a little steam without offending the majority of guests who are GREAT! (We really do love guests and hope they continue to come here, but some crazy things HAVE happened! ) Let's keep it light and funny ONLY . I don't want to start a grievence thread, just share some bizarre stories.

My contributions:
1. Hot Pink Playdoh smeared ALL over my living room walls.
2. Men's size 11 black drag queen pump shoes I found under my bed. (I don't want to think about it.)
3. When the renters checked out of my neighbor's home, they took the sofa ! :rotfl: (I'm only laughing because it wasn't MY sofa)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I have had the comforter - pillow shams w/pillows and accent pillows all taken from our place - obviously they liked my decorating. Also have had a vacationer iron on the carpet - even though I provide an ironing board and left a nice burn spot on my carpet. Have also had a 2 month old couch ruined by children jumping on it - the frame was bent so bad they had to take the mattress out to close it - thankfully our furniture company was nice enough to fix it under warranty - which they certainly didn't have to -THANK YOU FAR EAST INTERIORS!!!!!!

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
To our 'guests' (sometimes referred to as renters). You are our customers...and you are appreciated. You could spend your vacation anywhere, yet you choose to spend it with us. Thank you, and keep coming back.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
Speaking as a renter who has been coming to the area for many, many years, I think having a bizarre renter experience thread would be a good idea. I agree with jennyrae--some posters here have posted as though they dislike all renters. I am looking at it as storm stress and venting.

And if your management company is not taking good enough inventory and damage assessment after each renter, what about changing companies? And if no company does it properly, sounds like a business opportunity for someone! Question is, would you pay for the manpower to assess your place more thoroughly each time--counting the kitchen items, inventorying the knicknacks, etc.?

And a comment from a renter about knicknacks--when we first enter the unit we are renting, we take a lot of the knicknacks and cluster then in one safe place because we do not want to accidentally knock anything over as we bring in our bags and suitcases. Before we leave we put things back as they were when we first arrive. We wish the places would not have so many breakable pieces out as decor.

The last place we stayed had a table in one room that looked like a nice decorating piece by a bed but it was merely a large (decorated) tray on an unsteady base. We were concerned we would knock over the lamp and were afraid to put much more than eyeglasses on the table. We estimated that the lamp on the table would not make it to the end of the year--someone would eventually knock it to the floor because that table was never made to be in a rental unit but more on a home tour.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Dusty:

What a great idea. We should start a thread on "renters advice for great rentals" so we can learn more about what our guests want (e.g., best practices). We don't keep any knick knacks around and most of our stuff is kid-friendly (e.g. quilts that can be washed in the washing machine, plastic dishes for kids as well as better dishes for adults, slip covers on some furniture). But any advice from renters is useful. We use our own experience travelling with children to guide us -- mostly, we go for convenience, room set up that give us a good night sleep and comfortable seating arrangements for conversation since we often travel with people we haven't seen in a long time and want to catch up so we talk and talk and talk, cleanliness (that matters a lot to us), storage, peace and quiet, a pool in the summer, good cooking equipment so we're not trying to cook a meal with two pots and 2 serving dishes, and proximity to stores and other conveniences. Our guests have given us lots of useful advice as well because we ask them to give us ideas in the guestbook (there was a debate over whether all bedrooms should have mirrors -- some guests wanted them and others said, "Heck, we're on vacation and we don't want to worry about what we look like." But we put the mirrors in anyway.

dusty said:
We estimated that the lamp on the table would not make it to the end of the year--someone would eventually knock it to the floor because that table was never made to be in a rental unit but more on a home tour.

Our lamps take a beating. More so than anything else in the units. I dunno if it's people putting them on their heads:D , kids using them as weapons:D or just the general flemsy construction of a lamp:dunno: . Come to think of it we have a lamp in our den at home that's in pretty bad shape from people rounding the corner :laughing1

As someone posted above. Most people do take care of the space they are renting. There are a few that do not. I think most of the damage comes from kids just being kids. I don't know what causes it but when a kid gets to a hotel room, condo, restaurant or where ever there is a strange couch or bed that want to jump on it. :D

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
As you've seen from my earlier posts, I've had many items disappear. Last summer I walked into my house and immediately noticed that one of the two throw pillows that match my sofa had disappeared. Thankfully I had some fabric left over, so I had a new throw pillow made (which took the upholsterer months to do - dunno why - that's another story). Anyhow, when we walked into our house a few weeks ago, there were THREE throw pillows on the sofa. I thought I was seeing double (or triple). My guess is that a guest from last summer accidentally took it, made a return visit this summer, and returned it. :)

Beach Girl

Beach Lover
Apr 6, 2005
St. Louis, Mo
Sea Turtle said:
I applaud everyone's right to express their opinion and this is a fabulous forum to do just that. There is good and bad in everything and perhaps generalizations should be avoided. :dunno:

We rent out several homes in Seagrove and like having guests! I think this is probably true for MOST homeowners. We realize they have worked hard all year for a vacation and try to make their visit relaxing and enjoyable. My goal is to make our guests so happy that they return year after year. The rental income is very helpful and is put toward (but does not begin to cover) the mortgage, taxes, utility bills, insurance, various fees, furnishings and damage.

I am happy to say MOST guests have been very respectful of our homes. (we, too, have worked very hard for years and are blessed to have these homes, but make no mistake, "Luck" had nothing to do with it) Over the years, we have had a small percentage of guests who have had total disregard for our property. (what was with the hot pink Playdoh smeared all over our walls, anyway?) The degree of their destruction has been so bizarre that it sticks out in my mind. But again, I remind myself, in general our guests have been great !

PLEASE continue to come to our area and enjoy the fabulous Emerald Coast!

PS. I have also seen homeowner's that disregard other homeowner's property as well as the beach. This is even more frustrating... :bang:

Well said. I am a renter who comes down several times a year and has NEVER damaged a thing. I also take pride in the beaches and cringe when people are doing something to destroy our beaches. I like how you have a logical sense about renters. I'm sure the people who have a bad attitude about tourists are those who have had bad experiences with them. Thanks so much for your positive attitude!!!! It is encouraging.