• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

I Bike 30A

Beach Comber
Feb 13, 2021
Watersound
Shouldn’t we expect engineers and numerous traffic studies to provide things be done correctly the first time? Why is a meeting request necessary for common sense? The intersection at 98 and watersound is a prime example of absurdity. Watersound has a shared straight lane with a left turn lane, opposed by a separate left turn lane and straight lane. It is a complete cluster. When your son or daughter is learning to drive, how do you approach that? Close your eyes and go! It’s so poorly designed that the county is withholding all permit approvals of St Joe to require the fix of adding another lane to south side of watersound (they are responsible for that interception).

Shouldn’t this be designed correctly he first time. Again, Meetings don’t fix common sense

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Shouldn’t we expect engineers and numerous traffic studies to provide things be done correctly the first time? Why is a meeting request necessary for common sense? The intersection at 98 and watersound is a prime example of absurdity. Watersound has a shared straight lane with a left turn lane, opposed by a separate left turn lane and straight lane. It is a complete cluster. When your son or daughter is learning to drive, how do you approach that? Close your eyes and go! It’s so poorly designed that the county is withholding all permit approvals of St Joe to require the fix of adding another lane to south side of watersound (they are responsible for that interception).

Shouldn’t this be designed correctly he first time. Again, Meetings don’t fix common sense

You literally picked one of the few private main roads in all of Walton County. JOE is entirely responsible for that road as it's a private road. They could gate it if they wanted to. Why does every road need a seperate lane for left, right and straight through traffic?

The county is holding no permit approvals from JOE, do you know what you are talking about?

Teach your kids the rules of the road and most of your issues are solved.

AndriaB30A

Beach Comber
Jul 25, 2020
You literally picked one of the few private main roads in all of Walton County. JOE is entirely responsible for that road as it's a private road. They could gate it if they wanted to. Why does every road need a seperate lane for left, right and straight through traffic?

The county is holding no permit approvals from JOE, do you know what you are talking about?

Teach your kids the rules of the road and most of your issues are solved.
Actually, he’s correct Matt. According to a email correspondence I had with Chance Powell, our traffic engineer, late last year:

“Walton County is responsible for the maintenance of the signal through a contract with FDOT. Now that FDOT has conducted the study and recommendations were made, Walton County will require St. Joe to implement the recommendations before proceeding with new development orders. Since the study was received by our department we have requested the Walton County Planning Department add a conditional approval for all future request by St. Joe to construct the needed changes to the intersection of Watersound Parkway/US 98 intersection. The recommendations of the study is to add a third lane to the northbound approach and modify the signal phasing for protected lefts at the north and southbound approaches of Watersound Parkway.”

Although I’m not familiar with the details I do know that these improvements have been finalized and are scheduled to take place in the near future.

Matt, I can assure you that teaching our kids the rules of the road does not solve any safety issues caused by poor design.