• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I never see anything mentioned about Carillon. We considered renting a house there - - the rates were more affordable, but we never received very good customer service. I haven't been by there in years (or anywhere in the area for that matter) & wondering what's happened to the Carillon area.

Rudyjohn said:
I never see anything mentioned about Carillon. We considered renting a house there - - the rates were more affordable, but we never received very good customer service. I haven't been by there in years (or anywhere in the area for that matter) & wondering what's happened to the Carillon area.

Have a friend that just rented a large gulf front house in the $5K range. Rented it last year and just loved it. I walked through there last year. Very quite. Even quiter than 30A :blink:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Carrillon is a very nice, quiet development, but, in my opinion, being located in Panama City Beach has been a detractor for it. As you probably know, Wild Heron has also been slow to move also, although I think the heavily guarded gates make that a more difficult place to show. PCB is slowly changing, and Carrillon and Wild Heron will be great places to escape from it all.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Why did Chef Paul's restaurant at Carillon fail? It had one of the best chef's from Atlanta (from Pano's and Paul's) and the best general manager (David Reilly, formerly of Buckhead Diner). The food was fabulous. Was it location-location-location?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
Why did Chef Paul's restaurant at Carillon fail? It had one of the best chef's from Atlanta (from Pano's and Paul's) and the best general manager (David Reilly, formerly of Buckhead Diner). The food was fabulous. Was it location-location-location?
I am very familiar with Chef Paul, and his son who was running the show at Carillon. The key to keeping a restaurant up an running is keeping people in the seats. When you went there, did you ever see more than 10 tables with people. I didn't, yet the food and service were exceptional. You pretty much nailed it -- location, location, location -- the top three things to consider when opening a restaurant. Look at WaterColor's BaitHouse. It has the best breakfast in town, reasonable prices, and good staff, yet it's tables are mostly empty. Did I mention that the atmosphere in there is one of the best around. Problem -- out of sight, out of mind.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
You're right, Smiling JOe, about Chef Paul's. I personally think that Bait House is a bit pricey, although attractively designed. I don't think people know about it - I never see it advertised/promoted, unlike Fish Out Of Water.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
I personally think that Bait House is a bit pricey, although attractively designed. I don't think people know about it - I never see it advertised/promoted, unlike Fish Out Of Water.
One reason is due to their low staff levels. They would not be able to handle the volume, but the problem goes deeper than that, and you would have to have been in the business for it to make sense, so I willl refrain from the boring details. I think there is another major reason. The vibe I have from WaterColor is that they don't want outsiders roaming their neighborhoods, unless you plan on buying. Quite the opposite of Seaside, which feels warm and friendly. I feel that WaterColor doesn't offer that warm and friendly feel, except to their residents. It is like they are trying to keep the BaitHouse owners only. Fish Out of Water is advertised much because they need to fill seats, and it is directly connected to the Inn. In the hotel business, you do not want guests to sit alone in an empty dining room -- bad energy.

gr8mom

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Little Rock
Rudyjohn said:

We've been staying at Carillon Beach for the last couple of years - wouldn't stay anywhere else for that matter! The prices are better than surrounding communities, the gates keep down traffic so we can ride our bicycles, and it is still a quiet, uncrowded community. I never see any advertising, which I think is a good thing since it keeps the crowds down. I'm curious, when you say you never received good customer service, from whom do you mean? The shops and restaurants in town have been great to us, but we do find one of the major rental companies more user-friendly than the other.