• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P4220126.JPG

Seaside April 22 2006 - sand added to beach where main walkover use to be. I don't know if they are building the walkover or just protecting the symbol of Seaside, but there is mucho sand there, extending out fairly far from the dune line.

I noticed the darker sand today east of One Seagrove Place. Rather grayish. Clearly not the old sugar sand that we're used to.

I don't see how the erosion cliffs at some spots will heal in our lifetimes unless large amounts of sand are brought in. BTW I saw a seawall (the wooden type) in which the sand has already eroded enough that the wood is showing. Yikes! I've heard that the sand to cover the wooden seawalls costs in the neighborhood of $40,000 (obviously depending on the width). I'd be pretty ticked if that sand were already blowing away. On the other hand, the effectiveness of building such structures has been extensively debated on this message board.

However, despite all of this, I'll have to say that the beaches are looking great. All of the "black stuff" and rocks are covered up in the area of Seagrove that I've walked. The area down by the end of Eastern Lake Road is absolutely beautiful.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
Smiling JOe said:
P4220126.JPG

Seaside April 22 2006 - sand added to beach where main walkover use to be. I don't know if they are building the walkover or just protecting the symbol of Seaside, but there is mucho sand there, extending out fairly far from the dune line.

Sand is being placed against some of the dunes in Seaside and Watercolor to protect them. In Seaside, Seaside Commumnity Development has bought sand to protect the dunes in the center of the beach. Some of the gulf front owners have bought sand to protect the dunes in front of their homes, and the Natchez Association bought sand to protect the Natchez Pavilion. Some pavilions will not be receiving sand. I think the sand may be coming from Pensacola. Fortunately, no seawalls or geotubes are going in. Hopefully, the walkovers will be rebuilt soon.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Sand is being placed in front of the WaterColor Inn only. Homeowners rejected the vote for more sand. They had already voted last fall for a Protectube, out of fear I suspect....which was not installed because of permits and timing. From what I see, that sand will probably end up in Grayton State Park if there are any storms.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
While needing a 2/3 vote to pass, majority of Seaside homeowners voted against adding sand. The beaches are recovering nicely, and if God decides he doesn't like the dunes where they are, he will move them.