• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
gilesdad said:
We get down to SoWal every other year for a week (since 1989) and this is the year again! :clap_1:
The last few trips we have meant to try Pandora's in Grayton Beach. We've read about their prime rib night being really good. But I can't come up with anything on the internet that's very useful as far as reviews or customer comments. The ONE review that I actually found was a scathing, horrible review pointing out extremely rude and poor service by management (not the waitress).
The reviewer had been staying at Seaside each summer for years and loved Pandora's. Then they had a terrible experience. Supposedly the restaurant was under new management and she was far from impressed. Does anyone know if the situation reported could be accurate, or if things have gotten any better? Also, if Pandora's isn't up to snuff do you recommend anywhere else for a slab of beef? (we love the beach, but we're not big seafood eaters)
Thanks!

My personal review is "don't go". We made the mistake of eating there last night and it was bad. The waitress was great and we did get our "nice dogs strange people" bumper stickers, but the crabcakes were gross and the shrimp not much better. However, our dining guests had steak and they said it was delicious. Guess if you do go there, order beef.

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
Oldtimer said:
My personal review is "don't go". We made the mistake of eating there last night and it was bad. The waitress was great and we did get our "nice dogs strange people" bumper stickers, but the crabcakes were gross and the shrimp not much better. However, our dining guests had steak and they said it was delicious. Guess if you do go there, order beef.

I just don't get it. This restaurant was rated pretty high by most of the people on these boards-now it seems everyone is saying 'don't go'. We only get so many nights out in Sowal on our vacation, and I'm worried about taking a chance on an iffy place. From the sounds of things, I won't be taking that chance on this next trip...

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
MKH said:
I just don't get it. This restaurant was rated pretty high by most of the people on these boards-now it seems everyone is saying 'don't go'. We only get so many nights out in Sowal on our vacation, and I'm worried about taking a chance on an iffy place. From the sounds of things, I won't be taking that chance on this next trip...

Well, if the attitude of their hostesses says anything about the food I'll NEVER go there. I was hoping when I started reading this thread that I'd get some glowing reviews since the parking lot seems to indicate it's a good place. When we were down last week we stopped by to see if we could get in (I think it was Wednesday) and were very rudely told that they couldn't possibly seat us (party of 5 @ 8:00 pm). It was no big deal but the way they acted was unacceptable. I didn't know reservations were needed but apparently they are...duh! :dunno:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
MKH said:

Forgive me for being blunt, but if you "only get so many nights out," why even consider a place like Pandora's? You should have dismissed the idea as soon as the first negative post came up. There are literally dozens of places that won't break the bank and are outstanding in their own way. Seems to me you are still looking for a reason to go there despite the plethora of bad reviews in this thread.

If I had only three nights to dine out in SoWal, I would go to:
1. Cafe 30-A
2. Red Bar
3. Borago

Pandora's would be about number 39 on my list, just ahead of Goatfeathers ;-)

If it's steak you crave, go to Seagar's at the Hilton.

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
JB said:
Forgive me for being blunt, but if you "only get so many nights out," why even consider a place like Pandora's? You should have dismissed the idea as soon as the first negative post came up. There are literally dozens of places that won't break the bank and are outstanding in their own way. Seems to me you are still looking for a reason to go there despite the plethora of bad reviews in this thread.

If I had only three nights to dine out in SoWal, I would go to:
1. Cafe 30-A
2. Red Bar
3. Borago

Pandora's would be about number 39 on my list, just ahead of Goatfeathers ;-)

If it's steak you crave, go to Seagar's at the Hilton.

We've been to all 3 of the places you listed, and we are planning to go to all 3 again this year. We have never been to Pandora's but always saw the packed parking lot. And a restaurant list on this board recently listed Pandora's as 'top on the list', 'best steak', etc. That's why I planned to go there.

When I go to Sowal, I prefer to stay on and around 30A, so the Hilton doesn't appeal to me.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
MKH said:
We've been to all 3 of the places you listed, and we are planning to go to all 3 again this year. We have never been to Pandora's but always saw the packed parking lot. And a restaurant list on this board recently listed Pandora's as 'top on the list', 'best steak', etc. That's why I planned to go there.

When I go to Sowal, I prefer to stay on and around 30A, so the Hilton doesn't appeal to me.

I think Cafe 30-A would cook you a helluva steak - much better than Pandora's. Even if it's not on the menu, I'd be willing to bet they have some good ones on hand. Just ask.