• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gr8mom

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Little Rock
I agree with all the things stated above, especially about being honest in how you advertise your property. The last house we rented stated it had a murphy bed in the study, but it was actually just the hallway. When the murphy bed was down, it was blocking the exit. Very inconvenient! Anyway, we have also stayed where they stowed away several bicycles, videos, and also some kids toys. That was a nice bonus not having to rent the bicycles! There was an informational folder made up by the owners that asked us to please replace all the pieces of the toys into the right boxes after we finish playing with them.
The thing that has most bothered me was when we rented a house that was in desperate need of powerwashing. It had a great front porch with two rockers, but the rockers were all peeling to the point that you couldn't sit on them without having paint chips stuck all over your legs. I've often wondered if the owners just didn't get by there enough, but why didn't the management company take care of some of this for them?
Little things you do mean a lot!

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
I love sturdy, well used furniture, too. Well built enough to take a bit of abuse but well used enough that we can relax on it without worrying that we will mess up the upholstery.

Fay, wouldn't it be awesome if there was a cleaning service in town who would clean your home as well as add nice personal touches like you mentioned? A gift bag sounds so lovely, and would be worth it's cost in making visitors feel special. I'd love to be the one to start that service, if the commute wasn't quite so far.

BFinBR

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
From the sounds of things, we've been pretty lucky with our rentals!

That said, I'll offer the following thoughts:

1) No tchotchkes; pictures on the wall are great.

2) The more indestructible the furniture, the better (leather very very good; chintz not so much).

3) I understand, really I do, but if I ever find a house or condo with REALLY GOOD pots and knives, I'll never go anywhere else again ever!

4) Finally, and most importantly -- I'd really appreciate some coffee filters or, better yet, a coffee maker with a permanent filter!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
This is great advice so far. Sounds like some more enterprising people could do an excellent business in this area helping owners take care of their properties and focus on service to the renters (this would be different from agencies who take care of hundreds and hundreds of properties -- I'm talking about very personalized care). I'm sure some people do it, but frankly as someone who rents out cottages to guests, I haven't heard much about this other than a few word of mouth recommendations. Frankly, if I wanted to live in SoWal, that's a job I would consider! Someone who did this very, very well would make owners happy and guests happy.

Perhaps people who do this could advertise their services on www.graytonbeach.com. Kurt would know how one would do that (cost, terms, etc.).

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
phdphay said:
There are some great ideas in this thread. I personally have always felt that the rental management companies with which I'm familiar don't provide the amenities expected by someone who spends as much as our guests spend to stay at our home. I have suggested to them that I make up gift bags with extras, but they say they can't do custom amenities for each rental property. I'd just like for my guests to have more of a feeling of home when they arrive, such as the following:

Kitchen - paper towels, dishwashing liquid, coffee/sweeteners for the next morning, bottled water

Bathrooms - nice, big pieces of soap, Kleenex

Laundry room - detergent and Clorox II

... and other amenities mentioned on this thread.

I've thought about just stashing this stuff away and letting the guests find it. But how do I know if one guest just takes home 4-weeks worth of guest baskets home?

So, how about a "Pay It Forward" (from the movie) concept - modified to a 1-to-1 ratio rather than 1-to 3, as in the movie? I provide certain amenities and leave a note asking my guests to replace what they use. Do you think this would work?

Sorry to be negative - Nope. Most people would, some would not. But have tried just providing large quantities of items such as washer detergent and clothes hangers. They get legs and disappear a couple times a summer. I just put in a front load washer that requires special detergent. The first week in the super size jug ( marked do not remove) which should last a month walked.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
Rather B. Paddlin said:
I just put in a front load washer that requires special detergent. The first week in the super size jug ( marked do not remove) which should last a month walked.

Please help us understand why, if it is a rental unit, you would choose a washer that requires special detergent?

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
BFinBR said:
2) The more indestructible the furniture, the better (leather very very good; chintz not so much).

3) I understand, really I do, but if I ever find a house or condo with REALLY GOOD pots and knives, I'll never go anywhere else again ever!

Good comment on the furniture. I agree--lose a little style and go more with indestructible or less destructible. :)

On the pots and knives--I completely agree! I have thought about bringing my own skillet and a couple of good paring knives the next time I come. I am concerned I would forget my knives, though.

I understand why owners are reluctant to put any good knives in a rental unit; but why oh why are the frying pans so bad? You know, the ones with the teflon half scraped off that burns your food because it is so cheap? And we have stayed in some "platinum" places. I don't expect Caphalon but what about a set of Revereware stainless that would last 30+ years?

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
dusty said:
Please help us understand why, if it is a rental unit, you would choose a washer that requires special detergent?

Super large capacity ( fyi -front load washers hold quite a bit more than top loads) needed for a super large house. Plus a much faster drying time.
Clothes come out of front load washers almost dry.

Why does it matter? We are providing the detergent at no charge. I am sure if it was standard detergent the same guest would have taken that. I bet the second jug last until the end of the summer. The point is one or two groups will clean out the house every summer. Everyone else probably leaves more than they use.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
dusty said:
Good comment on the furniture. I agree--lose a little style and go more with indestructible or less destructible. :)

On the pots and knives--I completely agree! I have thought about bringing my own skillet and a couple of good paring knives the next time I come. I am concerned I would forget my knives, though.

I understand why owners are reluctant to put any good knives in a rental unit; but why oh why are the frying pans so bad? You know, the ones with the teflon half scraped off that burns your food because it is so cheap? And we have stayed in some "platinum" places. I don't expect Caphalon but what about a set of Revereware stainless that would last 30+ years?

Dusty,

You are right on about the cheap cookware. We have put expensive cookware in our houses. We still have burnt pans. I think people maybe let teenagers cook sometimes. We replace the pans every so often which no big deal until they burn the house down. As far as knives are concerned - they do not make good screw drivers. I believe after a few years owners try to buy things that are easy to replace and are disposable.

I believe there are some really good ideas presented in this thread. But until you own a rental property you just can not believe what 1 or 2 families a summer will do. You are not like that, so it is hard to believe or understand. You take care of the house as if it were your own. When we started renting out the houses I thought it would be neat to provide 4 brand new Schwinn beach cruiser bikes at each house. Every bike was destroyed within 6 weeks. I felt bad for the guests who thought bikes would be there then did not have bikes to ride. I did not replace the bikes; not because of cost, but I could guarantee they would be there for every guests.

Last edited:

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rather B. Paddlin said:
Dusty,

I believe there are some really good ideas presented in this thread. But until you own a rental property you just can not believe what 1 or 2 families a summer will do. .

I agree. We have a beach house that we own with a few other families. We rent 2 or 3 of our summer weeks out --so far, to our friends only --thinking that would ensure they they took good care of the house. And it is amazing the bad shape that the renters leave the house in (might be time to get new friends~)