• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
SHELLY said:
"Ruts" work both ways...those who tend to go to the mountains, take cruises, or hit Disney every-single-vacation...year-in and year-out may be surprised they like the beach (and visa-versa of course).

On a whim I went to Maine last year--it was better than I ever imagined (those who've been know what I'm talking about). IMO the ride on this earth is way too short to ride around looking out the same window.
Shelly, tell us more about your trip to Maine - that's my home state ;-) I grew up on that rocky coast and would be very interested to hear about where you stayed, your impressions - heck, maybe even some photos :razz: ...?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
SHELLY said:
"Ruts" work both ways...those who tend to go to the mountains, take cruises, or hit Disney every-single-vacation...year-in and year-out may be surprised they like the beach (and visa-versa of course).

On a whim I went to Maine last year--it was better than I ever imagined (those who've been know what I'm talking about). IMO the ride on this earth is way too short to ride around looking out the same window.

SHELLY, you make an excellent point; this is why even working stiffs should get out of town two weeks a year -- one for the rut, one for "anything goes." ;-) Best of both worlds. Easier said than done though!

One thing about SoWal that is great is that it is a "gathering place." I imagine that a lot of Southern families who are scattered in different places enjoy getting together each year at the beach. That's one big way memories are made. Of course not the only way; your way is important too.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Sueshore said:
I:love: my vacation ruts!!!!

Me too, Kitty! And God willing I'll be back with my family to get my fill this July!! We can't wait!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Shelly:

I love Maine as well. I lived in the town next to Camden for 2 years many years ago, in Rockport. Absolutely beautiful area. We used to go down to the shore when the lobster boats came in and get their one-armed lobsters for $2. I also lived in Portland for about 4 years -- Cape Elizabeth Beach nearby is very nice, and the Old Port downtown is quaint (I heard it has turned into quite the party place in the evenings though). My husband's mother lives in Maine, so we get to visit. For some reason, there's lots of nice sea glass on the beaches (we've collected a lot of it). I love the ruggedness of the shoreline, which is probably why the way the dunes looked in SoWal after the hurricanes didn't bother me -- I figured that's what nature does if you let her do her thing. There's a beach called Popham Beach near Bath, Maine, that is very nice as well -- out in nowhere.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Maine is where I go to vacation from SoWal. Love the rocky coast and the wonderfully independent minded people...

tariail

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
We have a rental house on your street, too. Our rental agency says reservations are slow overall, to date. They suspect that tourists are hesitant to commit yet, but some may reserve closer to their vacation times. Sales are flat and now rentals off. Let's hope this hurricane season is not what is predicted! Let's hope for a turnaround.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
It may be that so many new units are on the rental market after the last few years of robust development. You may be competing with many more rental units than before. It was interesting to hear the TDC say that overall bed-tax collections were up last year (not even adjusted for the hurricanes). So we may have just as many or more visitors this year, spread over more rental units.

It's one theory, for what it's worth.

SeacrestBabY

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2005
whosyodaddy said:
I have to admit that I have been sidetracked this year and have done a poor job on marketing my home in Seagrove......... I have most weeks in June still available and need to book them. I will offer a 25% discount or a 25% commission if any one is interested. www.vrbo.com\25242

Thanks
Is there any oceanview? How far away is the shared pool?

Thanks for all of the input and comments... if anyone has any extra rentals, send them our way.

As far as the name "Who's Yo Daddy!" is concerned.... it's my little zing on my home area of Montgomery... if it's not the first question that's asked when meeting someone, it's definately the second one (after "Where do you go to church?")..... goes, something like this.... now, Who's Yo' Daddy?

Again, thanks for all of the help.

Thanks to the great folks on this board, I picked up a June rental.... thank you, thank you , thank you.....I still have a couple left and am extending my 25% discount or 25% commission to anybody who is interested. To check the weeks, go to www.vrbo.com/25242.

Thanks again,

Terry
whosyodaddy!