• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Beach Runner said:
It must be hot - I heard what a neighbor is asking for their house and said, "Woo-hoo!" Even if they get 75%, it'll make the value of our property go up.

That "woo-hoo" you hear coming back at you isn't an echo--it's from the county tax assessor's office. :cool:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
And just when I didn't think it could get any more bazaar there's this:

"Under watch: Former "ChiPs" star Erik Estrada, who now uses his celebrity status to hawk overpriced land in the middle of nowhere for National Recreational Properties, Inc., run by Jeffrey Frieden and Robert Friedman, in Internet and television English and Spanish infomercials (guess who the victims are). "

Thanks guys, you made my day :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
Haven't got my letter yet, is the return envelope postage paid--I've got something I'd like to send them back. ;-)
Why yes it is return postage paid. I sent them back a letter informing them that one of my properties is currently for sale and is ready for them to purchase since they were so interested in purchasing it. Needless to say, I have not heard back from them. ;-)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
:shock: It's like eating potato chips <pun intended?> I just can't stop!

Friedman and Frieden, both 43, took a roundabout path into the real estate business.

They started after high school with a string of stereo businesses. Frieden tried selling cars and phones, and both men even tried to set up a chain of chiropractic massage businesses.

Throughout, they dabbled in real estate, eventually founding an online auction company that sells raw land across that West. That led to NRPI.

Seeking a high-profile spokesman, the two flipped through a talent agency's portfolio and picked Estrada.

Estrada, remembered as a likable motorcycle cop on "CHiPs," was also the star of a popular Mexican soap opera that also airs on U.S. Latin networks. TV ads featuring him appear throughout the country.

"They approached me because they were looking for somebody who dealt with people on the street," Estrada said in an interview.

In addition to getting paid, Estrada is given a lot in each of the subdivisions.

In Cal Pines promotional material, Estrada exclaims: "This place is gorgeous! Take my word for it because I own property there myself." A sign along California Pines' main road touts "Erik Estrada's Home Site."

But Estrada said he had no plans for building on any of his NRPI lots.

Privately held NRPI doesn't have to release its earnings, but a statement filed by Frieden in an Orange County lawsuit against a software company said the company earned profits of approximately $562,828 a month between January and June 2002.

Last November, Frieden bought an oceanfront house in posh Laguna Beach for $4.3 million, according to property records in booming Orange County.

In struggling Modoc County, officials said they have reservations about NRPI's land sales, but those deals help pay for county services. Fewer than 10,000 people live in the county and nearly a fifth of the county's taxes come from California Pines owners, most of them mailed across the state.

County workers sometimes field calls from unsatisfied buyers; they usually refer the complaints to a state agency.

"We get a lot of, 'This isn't quite what was advertised to me,'" said Knoch, the county treasurer. "People complain, 'This isn't fair, they didn't tell the truth.'"

ON THE NET

California Pines: http://www.calpines.com

Lehigh Acres: http://www.lehighland.com

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
some one had sent me a letter as well, emailed me then we spoke on the phone- Pretty much told him.. that we have something in common I too stay up and watch Late night infomercials..