• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
breastcancer.jpg

Chef de Cusine Kevin Korman, CEC, of Caliza Restaurant invites you to join him in the fight against breast cancer. A cocktail hour with signature pink libations followed by a delectable five course meal complete with wine pairings all set in the surreal ambiance of Caliza Pool on a beautiful October evening will benefit Breast Cancer Awareness. $125 per person. Inclues tax and gratuity. Space is limited. Please call 850-213-5700 for reservations.

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
A bit about Kevin Korman and why the dinner is so important to him--

I started my career at 20 years old. I went to Baltimore International College in Maryland I was chosen as one of the top seven students in my class for an honors internship program at the schools hotel in County Caven Ireland. I trained and mentored under Certified Master Chef Rudy Speckhamp CMC (one of only 65 Master chefs in the US) for 4 years. During my time with his restaurant (Rudy's 2900) I worked with 15 other Certified Master Chefs. After Leaving Rudy's I tailored my path to gain as much experience in a wide variety of the culinary field. I have worked in restaurants, hotels, catering companies, retail, and Culinary instruction. After trying all of these fields I found my way back to the restaurant world as my true passion lies with fine dining. I have competed and won medals in numerous culinary competitions. After gaining proper experience and training, I tested through the American Culinary Federation and gained my certification as CEC (Certified Executive Chef). I have cooked for numerous celebrities and politicians including President Bush and Vice President Cheney. I joined the Caliza team in March of 2011 as sous chef and after proving myself was promoted to Chef de Cuisine.

As far as why this dinner is important to me, in 2004 I was living in Eatonton Georgia when my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. The day that the doctors told her that they found a suspicious dark spot in the deep tissue of her breast after a routine mammogram she was deeply concerned. She was given the option to wait 6 months or have a biopsy. She chose the biopsy, however the very next day she had a minor heart attack. Because of this the biopsy was postponed for 1 month. There was concern that the medicine she was taking for her heart would make her bleed to much during the surgery. She had a lumpectomy then was placed on radiation 5 days a week for 8 weeks. She was placed on a cancer fighting drug for the next 5 years. She has been cancer free since then. During this experience she kept most of it very quiet because, well she is a mother. Moms like to be tough and don't want her kids to worry. I don't think I grasped the severity of the situation at that time. Perhaps I was too young and naive at that point in my life. Perhaps I was just a selfish kid too focused on his own career. Either way, I consider myself very lucky that my mother survived. I will never take breast cancer lightly and hope that by making this small effort that I may gain the necessary attention and desperately needed funds to help out in some small way.