• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
1961-62 report on beach erosion. If you can read the fine print, it indicates the futility of seawalls and jetties.

Last edited:

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Re: 1961-62 Report: deja vu all over again part 2

Click on individual thumbnails.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Re: 1961-62 Report: deja vu all over again

Thank you!-how interesting.
Love the Seagrove Beach pic!
I tried to clean up the image and will post to see if it helps.

double click to enlarge

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005

I'll quote the pertinent parts:

"It is not a matter of coincidence that most erosion in Florida occurs where the most concentrated development along the shores has taken place.....Man's interference with natural shore processes is the major cause of the increased erosion....

In numerous cases seawalls have protected valuable property or dune faces, but when built as vertical bulkheads, they have, in fully as many cases, caused a lowering and increased erosion of the beach itself."

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005

Seagrove Beach looking west.
double click to enlarge

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005

The more I read the more fascinating it gets!

double click to enlarge:

jimmyp5

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove

thanks for posting this historical article!

wow .... the "Seagrove Beach looking west" picture is gorgeous ... i wonder just where it was taken, and i wonder how long it's been since that gentle a dune face has been the norm in Seagrove.

there are some gentle slopes like that along the Grayton Beach Preserve, but i think only where the dune's been eroded down to only several feet of remaining elevation.

the paper (fascinating) talks about the merits of shallow-water dredging. wouldn't it make sense for, say, walton and okaloosa counties (maybe bay & santa rosa, too) to pitch in and buy a dredging rig for ourselves, and just keep it cycling along our beaches, so that they get renourished every 3-5 years?