• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Berkly

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2006
We have a truly special house in Pt Washington that we are looking to sell. The house must be moved, so if someone has a vacant lot and would like a fun project house, this would be great. The house is totally cypress on the exterior (the wood has never been painted) and the floors are pine. We think the house is at least 60 years old. We have had offers from cabinet and floor people to take the house apart and use the materials...but we think the house has so much potential for someone that is willing to move it and do some work on it. The bathroom would probably have to be redone. The house is special and has been a part of Pt Washington history...by the way, there are several lots in the Pt Washington area for sale for great prices right now. We will consider any and all reasonable offers. PM me for details.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
can you post a photo?

Berkly

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2006
The house is on Hwy 395. On the west side of the road, across from Pt Washington UMC. Here are a few pics...

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
good luck, looks like a cute house. The house I grew up in was built around 1900 in downtown dothan, al. In 1976 my parents bought it for super cheap, cut it in half :shock: , and moved it 15 miles away. This house was around 3000 sq ft, one story. Quite a feat. Ducky(sp?) Johnson moved it and did a great job. THey also moved 3 other homes for us as well.....

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
I have move historic houses in St. Augustine, Fernandina, Jax beaches area Savannah and Charleston. Take the advise from the Carpenters Scrap it out your not gonna move the one with out catastrophic results. Unless its on the historic registry or you will have to come out of pocket on this one. On the other hand if your hell bent on moving it an it is on the historic registry you can get tons of grant money to restore it move it etc. I will drive by on the way home from picking the kids up from school and check it out. I know the house and I'll ask all the old local know-it-alls about the story on the house.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Have Ducky Johnson take a look at it and get his advice. Those old houses can be quite well made (especially when the old pine has basically fused together) and it could be a lot cheaper to move it to a new location and rehab it then build new. Some of the buildings in Seaside have been moved and reused several times.

Berkly

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2006
Good ol' Ducky says that it can be moved...whoever built this house did a great job for all it has withstood. Apparently the floor joists are cypress, too. I wish we could afford to buy a lot and move it, do some rehab and keep it...but my friend that I bought the house with was transferred out of state. We are ready to cut our losses and sell it to anyone else who may be interested in doing what we originally set out to do. Knowing the expense involved in moving the house, we will consider any offers! Otherwise, yes, we will have to take Greenroomsurfer's advice and sell off the wood and scrap the house. We sooo don't want to do that! But we don't own the land and the house must go. Thank you for all of your ideas!!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Isn't that the Burlison house where the new PWUMC building is going?

If so it has been on the historic tour. Mr. Burlison died about 8 years ago. He was a boat captain and ran the ferry for awhile from Jolly Bay to Tucker bayou.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
And Roy's first wife was Mabel Wesley, daughter of W.H. and Katie Wesley, and while I do not know if the sawmill was still running when this house was built, I'm certain the wood is fine.

If I had the money, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I really, really hate to see this house go. :cry: