• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
All budget workshops have now been held and the maximum millage rates for the 2010 tax year have been set.

Remember that these rates can be reduced during the budget Hearing Process but cannot be increased.

Taxing authorities in green reduced their millage rate, those in blue kept their millage rate the same and those in red increased the millage rate.

Our Calculations indicate that approximately 43% of the property owners in Walton County will see their tax bills increased and approximately 57% will see a decrease in their total property tax bill.

Trim Notices should be mailed to all property owners on August 21st.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Our Calculations indicate that approximately 43% of the property owners in Walton County will see their tax bills increased and approximately 57% will see a decrease in their total property tax bill.

How did you calcuate the increase/decrease percentages identified in your above post?

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
How did you calcuate the increase/decrease percentages identified in your above post?

We have parcel data on all properties for the past two years. We looked at the data by area (Freeport, DeFuniak Springs, South Walton, and County other). We know which parcels have homesteads, how long the homestead has been in place. We then compared parcels against the average increase/decrease in each of those areas.

We also looked at sales within each area and compared to taxable value before and after the sale. It was alot easier to find new construction, because that number is very small compared to prior years.

Once you know those things calculating the tax bill is very easy once the maximum millage rates are known.

Is it exact - no - is it close to reality - yes, we think so.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
:blush:
We have parcel data on all properties for the past two years. We looked at the data by area (Freeport, DeFuniak Springs, South Walton, and County other). We know which parcels have homesteads, how long the homestead has been in place. We then compared parcels against the average increase/decrease in each of those areas.

We also looked at sales within each area and compared to taxable value before and after the sale. It was alot easier to find new construction, because that number is very small compared to prior years.

Once you know those things calculating the tax bill is very easy once the maximum millage rates are known.

Is it exact - no - is it close to reality - yes, we think so.

Pretty easy to look at that chart and tell which boards have the real fiscal conservatives.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Isn't there a disclosure that should be made regarding WCTA and the Mosquito board?

Not sure exactly what disclosure you mean because WCTA is not one person. We use that user name when our members post on this site on studies, polls and items of interest to the citizens of Walton County, but I am the primary poster. When our members post under the WCTA userid the organization has approved the study, poll or content.

If you are referring to a disclosure concerning my service as a Mosquito Commissioner, I assumed that most, if not all knew that I served in that capacity along with two other individuals.

I have posted comments under the WCTA userid and identified myself by name on several occasions.

Maybe it would serve the Sowal community better if each person that posts under the WCTA name identified themselves on their postings. We have a board meeting tomorrow and I will bring it up for discussion.

If my disclosure is not what you were referring to I am sure that you will let me know.

Bob Hudson

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Not sure exactly what disclosure you mean because WCTA is not one person. We use that user name when our members post on this site on studies, polls and items of interest to the citizens of Walton County, but I am the primary poster. When our members post under the WCTA userid the organization has approved the study, poll or content.

If you are referring to a disclosure concerning my service as a Mosquito Commissioner, I assumed that most, if not all knew that I served in that capacity along with two other individuals.

I have posted comments under the WCTA userid and identified myself by name on several occasions.

Maybe it would serve the Sowal community better if each person that posts under the WCTA name identified themselves on their postings. We have a board meeting tomorrow and I will bring it up for discussion.

If my disclosure is not what you were referring to I am sure that you will let me know.

Bob Hudson

That was it, and thank you for being up front about it.

As to multiple people posting through one screen name you might want to clear that through kurt, I know people have been banned in the past. While we may not agree on everything your organization does serve a purpose and has brought quite a few things to light.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I have a question, some friends and I are having a disagreement, I say that once the tentative millage rate is set it can not be increased without some sort of emergency action. In order to address this issue and put this disagreement to rest, can someone please cite the law/ rule so I may look it up. Unfortunately GOOGLE has not been overly helpful. Thanks

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
I have a question, some friends and I are having a disagreement, I say that once the tentative millage rate is set it can not be increased without some sort of emergency action. In order to address this issue and put this disagreement to rest, can someone please cite the law/ rule so I may look it up. Unfortunately GOOGLE has not been overly helpful. Thanks

You are correct in that once the TA sets and notifies you of their proposed maximum millage rate they are unable to raise that maximum, but can lower it during the Public Hearing process.

Section 200.065(3), Florida Statutes - Method of fixing millage

BH

Last edited: