1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Superintendent Candidate

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Hudson, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Wow ! Surprise Surprise Surprise !

Trisha Porter Johnson has pre filed as a Candidate for Walton County School Superintendent in the 2016 election.

She's the daughter of Gordon Porter who was a major player in the "don't lose you right to vote" -- Vote No campaign.

Who would have guessed ?

2. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

you could try to find a set and run against her and then your opinions might mean
    more than squat...or you could be an old whiny woman online all day instead.

3. Misty

Misty Banned

jdarg, This should be a real treat! You are fixing to see how the "good ole boys" really do things "round here".

4. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

I would have thought someone would have some thoughts on this by now. Thought there was interest in this issue.

5. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

She certainly doesn't have any extraordinary credentials unless being a member of the Tea Party group on FB and also a representative of the WCEA at the same time counts for something. Perhaps that's one reason the teachers don't have a strong advocate. That being said, I voted for her in the primary last time around but I voted for the Democrat in the general election.

6. nbinnings

nbinnings Beach Comber

Regardless of who runs, they need to be well prepared for the large group of South Walton parents that are forming to put A LOT of money behind whom ever they feel is the best candidate. As a parent of kids in the system, our voice will be heard loud and clear come this vote.

7. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I didn't vote for her last time because of her lack of qualifications. She was a non-candidate in my book. And I knew her run was a certainty, judging by the completely negative campaigning (with little content based on fact) put out by both her parents. My kids are great too, and I hope I can be honest with them if they go for something really big that they are not qualified or suited for---

Stay tuned for the list of qualifications we will be putting together, based on other districts who hire a superintendent. This should be interesting.

I do hope there is a qualified candidate worthy of this important job. :sosad:. I hate having to constantly pick the "best of the worst" around here.

8. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

1. What financial experience does she have running the day to day operation of a company with a budget of more than 100 million dollars ?

2. What management experience does she have leading a workforce of more than 1000 employees ?

9. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

That's a good start.

10. Independent Thinker

Independent Thinker Beach Lover

Since the referendum to change to an appointed Superintendent failed, we are back to square one. The only requirements are a high school diploma, and residence in Walton county. No experience of any kind required, just the money and backing of the good ole boy network. It's still just a popularity contest in a county where the majority of citizens don't seem to be real bright.

11. nbinnings

nbinnings Beach Comber

That is where we come in! If it is the "good ole boy"...they better be well funded....more than any politician has ever been in Walton County to win this race. I am telling you, we are going to take this to a level that Walton County has never seen in terms of money spent for the right person. That is why we are getting such an early start.

12. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Oh my - she is a resident of Sumpter County Florida and teaches there. Out of County - says she is moving back here next summer according to her Facebook page.

Found that she voted in Walton County in the August primary. Interesting

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  13. Independent Thinker

Independent Thinker Beach Lover

Very interesting Mr. Hudson, very interesting indeed.

14. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Meanwhile we have to fundraise for art supplies. :bang:

15. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Good ole' boyz at their best.

Stay in Sumpter County. Kitchen's gonna get HOT for you and daddy-o.

:)

16. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I love some of the statements, I really do.... It seems Ms Porter has run for this position a couple of times already. I am more interested in seeing who is new. Do not forget when a lot of candidates run it certainly is a fun experience sifting through the chaff. Seems like Bob Hudson and Allen Osbourne got to experience some of that as did quite a few candidates in the sheriff's race. It also seems that when there is a lot of candidates people go to what they know. I think that finding one immensely qualified candidate now, preparing to fund them well and getting a professional to assist in helping focus the message could have a very positive impact. Just my opinion.

17. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Qualified candidates don't run in elections.

18. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

What qualified candidate in their right mind would play the small town politics-for-sport game that is Walton County? Actually it is the politics of keeping everything the same...as it was 50 years ago.

A quick Google search for superintendent applicants' resumes will illustrate what districts who hire require of their top executive.

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

That is not true.... But I guess it all depends on your perspective....

20. Misty

Misty Banned

Those who are well funded always win in Walton County. Just ask Ms. Jones, Mr. Eddins, and Catalano. I hope you know folks who are willing to run with deeper pockets than Jay Odom.