• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I thought upscale referred to the RV pads being gravel instead of dirt. :dunno:

Nope.....wait for it--here it comes..........granite. :D

peanut_guy_dancing_md_wht.gif

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Aside from writing letters, I am wondering who did their environmental impact study? Something as large as this with 120 units and then add 55 RV units plus the commercial aspect has to impact the bay regardless of how many trees/ open space you maintain. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Aside from writing letters, I am wondering who did their environmental impact study? Something as large as this with 120 units and then add 55 RV units plus the commercial aspect has to impact the bay regardless of how many trees/ open space you maintain. :dunno:
Trees? I was told one of the "developers" cut down all the trees on the wetlands a while back. Of course that is hearsay, but from the stories I've been hearing lately, I wouldn't doubt it.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Trees? I was told one of the "developers" cut down all the trees on the wetlands a while back. Of course that is hearsay, but from the stories I've been hearing lately, I wouldn't doubt it.

An aside from that possibility, it seems like common sense (I know very little about these studies) that if let's say 2 cars are allowed per unit, and 55 RV's, that right there at max occupancy would be 295 vehicles alone gaseous fumes, oil leaks, etc. garbage. Not to mention that is also quite a few vehicles slowing down roads of evacation.

I can't fathom, that just based on the amounts of vehicles coming out of there during an evacuation (and you can't really hightail out of there with an RV) as well as County services needed, that the Planning Department would allow this development, not to mention the proximity to the Bay, but we all know common sense won't play into this.

I would imagine, just like appraisal reviews, second opinions, an environmental study could be criticized as well.

I am all for affordable housing,(off the bay) but I'd bet you'd also see a premium on those units on the upper floors for views. I'm betting that on the upper levels there will also be gulf views as well.

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
From the press release (and it is most certainly a press release):

"Building vertically in a condominium highrise instead of sprawling out the living units allows much of the 60 acre site to remain intact, according to the developers. The county comprehensive plan allows for 2 units per acre on the 60 acre site; therefore, the developer is allowed 120 units."

How can this be true if most of the acreage cannot be developed due to wetlands? Does the county land development plan REALLY have a loophole this big? In calculating how many units they can put on the site, can they REALLY count the wetlands that the Army Corps of Engineers would not (ahem, likely) allow them to develop? :yikes:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
September 10, 2007 09:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Developers Seek to Enhance Freeport Area with Environmentally Responsible Project

Planned Jolly Bay Development to Maximize Land Use While Bringing Needed Amenities and Infrastructure to Growing Community

FREEPORT, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--......... Situated on 60 acres of land, Jolly Bay?s project will only reside on 17 acres in order to preserve 43 acres for natural beauty and to ensure the integrity of the surrounding area.
.................................... What a croc! "Spin" is correct!
Jolly Bay LLC was founded by longtime Walton County residents Carl Post and Kimberly Maxwell. ?Having lived in Freeport for 25 years, long before any of the recent development was even conceived, Carl and I have been planning to find a unique way to develop this parcel of land while preserving its natural beauty and surroundings. We want to provide the community with new amenities and living space that will improve the quality of life for current residents and allow newcomers to appreciate the beauty of this area,? stated Maxwell.
8 Open green space park and performance stage
............... This will be on the wetlands? Filled? Mitigated?
Jolly Bay LLC was formed to develop environmentally sensitive property for best use while keeping the integrity of the land and natural beauty intact. ........ If it's environmentally sensitive they better not fill these wetland areas if they want to "keep the integrty of the land" and it's "natural beauty". Won't a high rise and parking lot. etc. pretty much mess up an adjacent wetland (assuming they actually don't fill it in?)

"Building vertically in a condominium highrise instead of sprawling out the living units allows much of the 60 acre site to remain intact, according to the developers. The county comprehensive plan allows for 2 units per acre on the 60 acre site; therefore, the developer is allowed 120 units."

How can this be true if most of the acreage cannot be developed due to wetlands? Does the county land development plan REALLY have a loophole this big? In calculating how many units they can put on the site, can they REALLY count the wetlands that the Army Corps of Engineers would not (ahem, likely) allow them to develop? :yikes:

Good Point. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Yes, one can use the total area of the property to calculate the maximum density based on Land Use Code. That has been the rule for a long time. As this development is planning to do, in order to actually build without impacting the wetlands (mitigation would be required otherwise), the units would need to be located on the uplands of the property. To me it sounds like the hiking trails and path leading to the marina, will be impacting the wetlands, and that is why they would be required to preserve the remainder of the wetlands as mitigation land. What a twist they put on it, being "green developers." From what I understand, they are not developers at all, with this one project as an exception. How would you like to buy a condo built by an amateur? I think putting the RV park and camp store on the same property with a high rise condo, says it all.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
This statement also says it all, "Jolly Bay LLC was formed to develop environmentally sensitive property."

Write those letters and emails today!!!! Pick up the phone and call. Write those emails everyday. Same ones, over and over and over!!!

There email addresses are (simply copy and paste):

scott brannon <brascott@co.walton.fl.us>,
Cindy Meadows <meacindy@co.Walton.fl.us>,
Sara Commander <comsara@co.Walton.fl.us>,
ken pridgen <prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us>,
larry jones <jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us>

Dear Commissioner,
I understand that there is a 25 story project proposed for Walton County, which is currently before the Planning Dept. I urge you to make a motion and vote for the passage of the height restriction, currently on the books for South Walton, to be extended for all of Walton County. This should be done right away, at the next BCC meeting, prior to this proposed 25 story project coming before the BCC.

Sincerely,

(your name)

Last edited: