• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
A proposed mixed-use development comprising 256 apartments and 33,500 square feet of commercial space on U.S. Highway 98 has been forwarded to Walton County's Design Review Board for consideration.

The development proposal, from a company called 30A Lofts LLC, calls for a grocery store to comprise most of the non-residential development, at 15,000 square feet. Documents available through the planning department did not indicate the name of the store.

The remaining 18,500 square feet of non-residential space will comprise retail uses, according to planning department documentation. As with the grocery store, no specific retailers are noted.

With regard to the residential component of Saltaire, planning department documents indicate that 88 of the planned apartments will be one-bedroom units, with the remaining units containing two or more bedrooms.

The proposal for the Saltaire development, planned for a 24.5-acre tract on the south side of U.S. 98 at Moll Drive near County Road 393, was forwarded Wednesday to the Design Review Board by the county's Technical Review Committee, the first step in the development review process.

The Design Review Board meeting is set for 5 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Walton County Courthouse Annex at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach. Like the Technical Review Committee meeting, it includes an opportunity for public comments on the proposal, either in person or via the Zoom teleconferencing tool.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
A proposed mixed-use development comprising 256 apartments and 33,500 square feet of commercial space on U.S. Highway 98 has been forwarded to Walton County's Design Review Board for consideration.

The development proposal, from a company called 30A Lofts LLC, calls for a grocery store to comprise most of the non-residential development, at 15,000 square feet. Documents available through the planning department did not indicate the name of the store.

The remaining 18,500 square feet of non-residential space will comprise retail uses, according to planning department documentation. As with the grocery store, no specific retailers are noted.

With regard to the residential component of Saltaire, planning department documents indicate that 88 of the planned apartments will be one-bedroom units, with the remaining units containing two or more bedrooms.

The proposal for the Saltaire development, planned for a 24.5-acre tract on the south side of U.S. 98 at Moll Drive near County Road 393, was forwarded Wednesday to the Design Review Board by the county's Technical Review Committee, the first step in the development review process.

The Design Review Board meeting is set for 5 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Walton County Courthouse Annex at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach. Like the Technical Review Committee meeting, it includes an opportunity for public comments on the proposal, either in person or via the Zoom teleconferencing tool.
Yikes!

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Wondering about a 15000 sf grocery and who would go in between 2 Publix stores. Whole Foods or Fresh Market?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Wondering about a 15000 sf grocery and who would go in between 2 Publix stores. Whole Foods or Fresh Market?

I have no special insight, but as long as we are speculating, why not toss in a name? Someone I know who was involved with redeveloping the property in Destin where the indoor trampoline center is now located said that Rouses was very interested in that complex, but, never could get the deal done. They have been expanding east from their Louisiana base, now flirting with a Florida breakthrough with successful stores in Orange Beach and Spanish Fort. Time will tell :popcorn:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The grocery store designation was down when the original development of the property was approved.. keep in mind that the Publix on either side of the project are well over 50k sq. ft. This was down to allow for the building as grocery store is the lowest parking requirement of any building type in the county's code. This will likely be a bait and switch and development will have regular parking issues.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The grocery store designation was down when the original development of the property was approved.. keep in mind that the Publix on either side of the project are well over 50k sq. ft. This was down to allow for the building as grocery store is the lowest parking requirement of any building type in the county's code. This will likely be a bait and switch and development will have regular parking issues.
I checked the square footage of Rouses in downtown NOLA (it used to be a car dealership), and it is surprisingly large, I think it was like 60,000 SF which surprised me. I guess bait and switch, probably a Crappy Turtle that sells coffee and snacks.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I checked the square footage of Rouses in downtown NOLA (it used to be a car dealership), and it is surprisingly large, I think it was like 60,000 SF which surprised me. I guess bait and switch, probably a Crappy Turtle that sells coffee and snacks.

The only stores that fit that zoning are (starts rumor hurricane) Trader Joe's or Aldi. I vote for the latter.