• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
By TOM McLAUGHLIN | Daily News
Published: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 15:33 PM.

Walton County deputies worked fast Tuesday to capture three men who had robbed the McDonald’s inside the Loves Travel Stop at Mossy Head Industrial Park.
The men entered the truck stop facility at 3:15 a.m. with their faces “partially covered,” a Walton County Sheriff’s Office news release said.
“One of the suspects brandished a 22 magnum handgun and demanded money,” it said.
Fleeing with approximately $2,500 the perpetrators turned south on State Road 285 and attempted to make their getaway on nearby Interstate 10.
But a Walton deputy working an extra job at an RV park across the street from the industrial park had a different idea. He pulled over the 2008 Mazda identified as the suspect’s vehicle on the westbound entrance ramp.
Two of the three suspects were taken into custody. Suspect number three was apprehended a few hours later in Mossy Head near the intersection of U.S. 90 and Emma Lane, the report said.
Walton Correctional Institute staff and the Florida Highway Patrol helped locate the third suspect.
All three were from out of state. They were identified in the release as Kelly Eugene Stewart, 18, of Slidel, La. Trevor Bernard Smalls, 19, of Mobile, Al. and Christopher Wayne Smith, 20, of Slidel, La.
They were charged with armed robbery and Smith was additionally charged with aggravated assault, the release said.
Walton County Lt. Adam Falk said in an email that the assault charge stemmed from Smith’s waving a gun in the manager’s face and making threats.
Love’s Travel Stop spokeswoman Kealy Dorian said incidents like Tuesday’s are investigated “on a case by case basis.”
She said while existing security measures could be considered at Mossy Head, “I’m confident we’re doing everything we can to maintain adequate security for our facility and employees.”

--------

Adequate security?
$2,500 is allot of money to have laying around at 3:15 in the morning.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
None of the Suspects are from around here.

I-10 as a hunting ground.

Look for more crime (prostitution, theft, etc.) to come out of this area.

Love's probably needs to hire a uniformed guard, but that won't fit our sweeky clean Walton County Image and may deter other businesses from coming...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Actually that's not a large amount of money to have in a fast food restaurant. Just depends on when they last had a shift change.

As much as I'd love to say it's the victims fault, I'm rational, so I'd venture to guess that it would have been another business in Defuniak or Crestview if Love's weren't there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
None of the Suspects are from around here.

I-10 as a hunting ground.

Look for more crime (prostitution, theft, etc.) to come out of this area.

Love's probably needs to hire a uniformed guard, but that won't fit our sweeky clean Walton County Image and may deter other businesses from coming...

I just traveled from California and stopped at plenty of truck stops on my way here. Although I realize I probably wouldn't have noticed a crime spree, there seemed to be plenty of businesses that sprouted up around these businesses and really did not notice a lot of law enforcement.