• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Only 3 more weeks until our 10 day stay at High Pointe condos -our first trip! I sure hope I picked a good place. Along with going to the beach and hanging by the pool with the boys, I can't wait to drive around South Walton and look at all the different areas. We rented a convertible -woo hoo.

A couple of questions:
Is there a gym nearby in which my husband and I can work out? I've worked my behind off to get into beach shape and I don't want it all to go to pot. :D

Feel free to let me know of any 'don't miss' places. Restaurants, shopping... anything.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Sounds like a great trip!

Don't know how old your boys are, but Alys Beach now has a wonderful (and welcoming) playground right next door to Fonville Press. It is great for the 2-to-10 set.

Rosemary Beach has a gym that you can pay to visit, I think it's $18 per day but you get a discount if you buy a two or three day pass. (Not a huge one but every bit helps). Or you can just rent a bike for the week and pedal up and down the bike path on 30A.

I am a fan of Cowgirl Kitchen takeout in Rosemary Beach when I am too lazy to cook and don't want to spend big bucks on dinner out.

This is just off the top of my head ... you will not run out of things to do!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I would ask at High Pointe. Most condos in the area have a "gym". All your basic equipment.

micki

Beach Lover
May 20, 2006
Akron, Ohio
We too will be vacationing at the High Pointe in about 7 days. This will be our 7th year to stay at the High Pointe. There is no gym there, but my husband and I like to take LONG early morning walks along the beach. We're usually gone for a couple of hours and don't even realize it. Between that and the fabulous pool at the High Pointe, you should get in plenty of exercise.

One of our favorite restaurants is Graffiti in Carillon Beach. (Try the Scallops Low Country if it's still on the menu!) Ordering a pizza from Spicy Noodle is great - especially the seafood pizza! Stop by Goatfeathers and get some fresh seafood to cook up in the condo.

Spend part of the day visiting the shops at Seaside and have lunch there, too.

There are also some really nice shops/boutiques right across the street from the High Pointe in the kiosks. Nice shops in Rosemary Beach, too! All within walking distance. You can rent bikes there, too and bike along 30A - another great chance for a workout.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I also like the Seacrest Beach end of 30-A. When you take your morning walk, go east into the sunrise. You will not be disappointed. Make the walk back leisurely and look in the surf for the marine life and shells. The fountains at Seacrest are a hit with the kids and also the candy shoppe. (although I cannot think of the name) I also don't know if the Pirate shipo is open yet but the grandkids had a blast on that excursion. It is in Panama City.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I also like the Seacrest Beach end of 30-A. When you take your morning walk, go east into the sunrise. You will not be disappointed. Make the walk back leisurely and look in the surf for the marine life and shells. The fountains at Seacrest are a hit with the kids and also the candy shoppe. (although I cannot think of the name) I also don't know if the Pirate shipo is open yet but the grandkids had a blast on that excursion. It is in Panama City.

I think the fountains have gone with the economy. The last time we drove by they didn't look like they were working.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
About 10-15 minutes east there's a gym in Grayton Beach, go east on 30A, turn right at the stop at Grayton and there's a shopping center on your left with the gym. They do packs of passes or memberships by the month. Seems like 10 passes is $100 (5 for you and 5 for hubby). I worked my fanny off last year and this year (literally!) and I go to the gym while on vacation. We also rent bikes for our stay and bike in the evenings and walk on the beach. Even with all of that there's so much good food that it's hard not to gain a few pounds!

In Santa Rosa (far east 30A), we love Stinky's Fish Camp-great food! In Grayton Beach is the Red Bar, very good food and great music on Sun and Mon by Dred Clampitt-very popular spots!

In Seagrove we like Flip Flops burgers and chilidogs, Cocoons has good food to go and has a couple of tables (2) to eat there. Goatfeathers 2 Seafood Market in Seagrove does great steamed shrimp (you buy there and they steam for free).

Bayou Bill's Crab House (east on 98 or west at Carillon Beach) are good-try the crab cake and fried shrimp combo. We're excited to try Jambones this year and hope to try Fire as well.

Fat Clemenza's to your west at Mirimar Beach has great Italian food. Ciao Bella at the outlet mall has really good American style thin crust pizza.

I hear very good things about George's at Alys Beach as well as Wild Olives at Rosemary.

Have a great trip!