30-a beach looks like tent city

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by gmarc, Jun 24, 2009.

1. gmarc

gmarc Beach Fanatic

I counted 6 big tents left on the beach tonight and 8 smaller umbrellas. I can't believe the county can allow this. This could start fights with first come first serve on public beaches. It means if others see this and can't get beach front seating due to other lazy people leaving there tents up for prime spots all will start doing it making it look like a trailor park. This is insane and the county must enforce the rules.I think we need to bombard the county with complaints.

2. believer

believer Beach Lover

Chill out RAY, your getting upset over beach tents. Go to the state park beaches, they are better anyway.

3. kkddbb

kkddbb Banned

You have a right to be angry and so am i. Do what we do, take them down

4. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

people have become so dang lazy. we have visited many beaches and NEVER left our belongings on the beach. when we were done for the day, we brought everything back up to our condo. seems like common sense to me but then again, there seems to be a lack of it these days. even if you don't care about the fate of sea turtles (i do!), you would think these people wouldn't want their items stolen. i do not believe in self help (cutting the tents, etc.) but i do think it would be nice for the county to find a way to enforce the ordinance.

5. Yzarctoo

Yzarctoo Beach Fanatic

If the county can't take care of the law that they passed on leaving things overnight...then contact some locals who care...give them a badge or something so they will not get sued...and let us do it....things removed could be sold at garage sales or could be shared with the local Resell stores....allowing this TRASH to be left on the beach is wrong...if the county can't or won't do their job....am sure there are some of us who love our beaches who would be willing to do it!!!!!!

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

The Blue Mountain Villas cam is now showing some crap left behind everyday. Red tent and various chairs. :angry:

7. snookerpie

snookerpie Beach Comber

As a visitor, I sympathize with the local beach gear (pl) (f) (bl) ight. It seems that when some people leave their cares behind on vacation they sometimes leave their common sense and consideration. I don't think most people intend to be jerks they just aren't thinking things through. I also have seen toys, tents, umbrellas and chairs left over night and blowing away. Aside from being hazard for beach walkers and animals it is mar on the natural beauty. I hope the local government can reach a consensus about what action to take. It's sad but true that without consequences I don't think the desired behavior will prevail.

8. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Any rabble-rousers want to propose a county ordinance that would allow homeless people to camp out in tents left on the beach overnight? Yeah, I can rattle off ten different reasons why it's a really bad idea, but it would be interesting to see the reaction if people had to seriously consider that it would happen.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  9. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Education of tourists perhaps?

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Maybe the way to get the County to do something about this growing problem is for me to buy a crap load of tents and put them shoulder to shoulder down the entire stretch of beach, staking my claim of the beach. If someone wants to see the Gulf, they could purchase one of my front row spots on the beach. I bet that would get the County's attention.

11. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Just be sure to avoid the stretches of beach that are private:roll:

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I'll claim them too, since the public has been using them for years. If I'm going to jail for it, I may as well get my money's worth. ;)

13. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I think you need to hang signs and rubber turtles on them - so they can distinguish your trash from all the other stuff.

Sadly, without a label many won't notice anything new going on. :angry:

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

They will notice when the tourists and residents start complaining about having to rent a tent from me in order to see the Gulf.

15. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not picking up any trash off the beach this summer--not a butt, not a Capri-Son package, not a hair scrunchie. I'm not going to go down for walks with trashbags; I'm not going to pick up the junk left over from the 4th of July and New Years fireworks displays; I'm not going to participate in any "beach cleaning" gatherings.

Since I've returned from my trip to UK, I went to the beach once and came away totally disgusted; I haven't walked along the beach since--it just isn't as pleasant as it used to be and has gotten worse with every passing year. First it was the trash; then it was the "overnight toys and stuff;" next came the tents; and this year's "junk of choice"....the inflatable kiddy pool! :shock:. WTF???

Maybe if the trash and junk piles up and the visitors start to complain, the officials will finally "get it" and do something about it--until then, my apologies to the turtles, I can only hope that we'll get a handle on this situation come nesting time next year.

So all you beach goers--keep leaving your trash all over the beach; keep putting up your tent cities with your above-ground pools...the more the merrier, enjoy your summer holidays here on the panhandle!

16. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    :lol: Good ideas, SJ and SHELLY!;-)

17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

I gotta chime in agreeing with Shelly.

I've only been living here since 2004, and it literally HAS gotten visibly worse every year, at least on "my" little home stretch of beach near the Ramsgate walkover. First everybody quit sitting back from the water and moved their stuff up next to the water, making it difficult to walk the beach. Then the digging of crater-sized holes started. Then the tents. Wouldn't surprise me to see some impromptu carpentry. Maybe portable generators to power some fans and lighting for evening.

The area near Ramsgate will always be crowded, as it services the popular Ryan Street and Chelsea Loop rentals. But, it doesn't have to be unpleasant, too.

Like I've said before, a little urban opportunism would go a long way. If you leave your stuff on a CA beach, one of the resident bums will have it in a minute. Just post a sign on the walkovers, "FREE STUFF after 7 PM".

18. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Where is that photo of the Asian Beach that circulates every now and then?

19. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Who needs a $10,000 Rolex-in-a-cooler when you can buy one of these for $800 less? Anyone seen one yet?

[​IMG]

20. Will B

Will B Moderator

Here's what we're destined for...

From Korea...

[​IMG]

From New Jersey...

[​IMG]