30-a beach looks like tent city

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by gmarc, Jun 24, 2009.

1. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

Florida Public Records Law should get you a copy of almost anything:

Florida Guidelines

2. Dia

Dia Beach Fanatic

I'll be your assistant & ride along with you! (our teachers in Walton County start at 34,700 w/ a bachelor's degree)

3. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

In the spirit of full disclosure- I personally know this gentleman. He is a tremendous guy and a steward of our area...

I think you guys are really jumping to conclusions. You acknowledge that you do not know the scope/value of the services he provides to us. But yet you express in certain terms that what he does is of no value, that we are being fleeced, that he is billing for things he shouldn't, that he and/or the people who contracted with him should be removed, etc.

$35 an hour for a consultant is a bargain in any industry, sector, etc.
    It IS cheaper and arguably smarter to use him than to pay a full time employee, cover benefits, etc.

Looks like a witchhunt, ya'll. You've got the wrong guy, though...

4. GoodWitch58

my concern is not with the person who is doing the job....but with the people who approved it.

5. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I am not singling this person out - I'm asking the same questions about Code Enforcement, Commissioner benefits, etc.

I also volunteered to reduce my trash pickup to 1x a week to save the county money too.

6. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Ok. Because it is scandalous that decison makers decided to hire a seasoned professional at a great rate to provide a service to us that is of value? Because you would prefer that a committee of 8 full time paid employees start out with a formal RFP. That they get overwhelmed with bids from people who want to get paid "to ride their bike all day" so they turn over the process to be managed by a consulting firm who bills $150/hr. and takes 3 months to find us someone qualified who would do it for $2 an hour less?
    (All of which would cost us triple in a year what we pay the guy we use now)...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  7. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

You personally might not be singling him out. But he IS being singled out here. I saw his name and contract posted here along with a call for his position and the people who hired him.

Looks like he is being singled out to me. In a thread about? I have to go back and look at the title...

EDIT: About tents on the beach

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  8. GoodWitch58

No, not for any of those reasons. Geo, might you be reacting to the fact that youknow the individual and like him...while others may be reacting to entirely different things? My question, like many of the others posted here, has to do with whether or not there isn't another way to handle the perceived problem, without hiring anyone else.

I paid no attention to his name, and if you say he is a good guy, then I believe you; I would feel the same, no matter who it was.

I just have a problem with government decisions being made outside the Sunshine Law; and this is twice in the last 30 days that something like this has come to light--not because anyone in leadership at the County government was overseeing contracts and disbursements, but because a member of the public asked for the information--

9. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Yes on both. And I believe my points were necessary to provide some balance since it seemed only the view that heads should be rolling was being represented...

I have nothing else to add.

:D

10. maxman

maxman Beach Comber

Go for it...get them where it may hurt $$$$$
    They are not listenning to the locals, maybe you can make the point.Sorry for your experience, but it may take many of you to change things. Pls come back.