• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
From Walton Sun

More than $62 million in improvements are needed to properly accommodate the volume of traffic on County Road 30 A, a report from the Genesis Group said.
January 2006 concluded the Genesis Group?s 12-month study of CR 30A, the only other east/west route in South Walton besides U.S. Highway 98. During the course of the analysis, six segments of the coastal road were monitored.
Using numbers based on current population, anticipated projects and vacant land, Genesis looked at different variables along CR 30A that would affect traffic patterns, Ben Chandler, Genesis transportation planner, said.
To integrate public needs and perceptions concerning the road, more than 900 personal surveys were sent to area residents, followed by one month of technical meetings and public input series.
?The study was its own endeavor while at the same time reviewing traffic concurrency procedures,? Chandler said.
?We thoroughly enjoyed working on this,? Debbie Dantin, project manager of the CR 30A study, said.
The Genesis Group suggested a host of short and long-term improvements for CR 30A.
?We looked at current design standards and how to provide recommendations for standardizing some of the design features,? Chandler said.
Some of the recommendations made for the welltraveled road included consistent sign standards, consistent pavement markings and crosswalk standards, warranted turning lanes and roundabouts.
?Roundabouts are a better alternative (to traffic signals). They allow increased capacity and reduce the overall delay,? Dantin said.
One of the most critical elements to controlling traffic is the continued push for public transportation, such as trolleys, she added.
Some of other suggestions for more pedestrian friendly elements along CR 30A included bicycle lane installation and sidewalks and trails.
?A good portion of this can be paid through private/public partnership,? Chandler said, suggesting developers incur some of the costs.
Dantin hopes some of the changes will, ?complement the scenic corridor designation. We?re trying to balance environmental issues with the scenic corridor.?
?There is always going to be traffic because it?s a popular destination,? Chandler said. ?These are suggestions to more efficiently mover traffic.?
The Genesis Group is also working a on a traffic concurrency study for the county, which will help reevaluate current currency regulations.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
shouldn't there be a scooter lane since they can't go in the bike lane?

62 million for signs, crosswalks and a couple of planted round curbings?

stop all development south of 30a, by it all at .02cents on the dollar, raze it and make the whole of it from the old school to grayton into a landscaped oceanside park a'la Sanibel City Park with natural untamed primitive beaches and dune ridges with seagrass and open areas of grass grass and live oaks and exquisite gardens and walkovers and boardwalks and pavillions and skateboard parks and playgrounds and museums and culture centers and surfer spots and hippie hangouts - there's your 62 million well spent, and the hordes of tourists that would come would bring many many more millions

way too much greed for it to ever happen, but its a nice dream

pb_fms_4005.jpg

http://www.leeislandcoast.com/everything_to_do/beach/ungroomedbeach.php

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
SoWalSally said:
From Walton Sun

More than $62 million in improvements are needed to properly accommodate the volume of traffic on County Road 30 A, a report from the Genesis Group said.
January 2006 concluded the Genesis Group?s 12-month study of CR 30A, the only other east/west route in South Walton besides U.S. Highway 98. During the course of the analysis, six segments of the coastal road were monitored.
Using numbers based on current population, anticipated projects and vacant land, Genesis looked at different variables along CR 30A that would affect traffic patterns, Ben Chandler, Genesis transportation planner, said.
To integrate public needs and perceptions concerning the road, more than 900 personal surveys were sent to area residents, followed by one month of technical meetings and public input series.
?The study was its own endeavor while at the same time reviewing traffic concurrency procedures,? Chandler said.
?We thoroughly enjoyed working on this,? Debbie Dantin, project manager of the CR 30A study, said.
The Genesis Group suggested a host of short and long-term improvements for CR 30A.
?We looked at current design standards and how to provide recommendations for standardizing some of the design features,? Chandler said.
Some of the recommendations made for the welltraveled road included consistent sign standards, consistent pavement markings and crosswalk standards, warranted turning lanes and roundabouts.
?Roundabouts are a better alternative (to traffic signals). They allow increased capacity and reduce the overall delay,? Dantin said.
One of the most critical elements to controlling traffic is the continued push for public transportation, such as trolleys, she added.
Some of other suggestions for more pedestrian friendly elements along CR 30A included bicycle lane installation and sidewalks and trails.
?A good portion of this can be paid through private/public partnership,? Chandler said, suggesting developers incur some of the costs.
Dantin hopes some of the changes will, ?complement the scenic corridor designation. We?re trying to balance environmental issues with the scenic corridor.?
?There is always going to be traffic because it?s a popular destination,? Chandler said. ?These are suggestions to more efficiently mover traffic.?
The Genesis Group is also working a on a traffic concurrency study for the county, which will help reevaluate current currency regulations.

Hmmm. $62 million for improvements? No problem-just let me find my wallet. Then can I charge a toll for everyone that uses these improvements? Payable in cash, suntan lotion, white wine, or seafood platters from Seagrove Market? :rotfl:

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
aquaticbiology said:
.. a landscaped oceanside park a'la Sanibel City Park with natural untamed primitive beaches and dune ridges with seagrass and open areas of grass grass and live oaks and exquisite gardens and walkovers and boardwalks and pavillions and skateboard parks and playgrounds and museums and culture centers and surfer spots and hippie hangouts - there's your 62 million well spent.
What a novel and logical idea. I like!!

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Think it's hard to cross 30A at 395 now. Forget it with a Roundabout. Cars are encouraged to keep moving.Good luck Crossing. I've seen them out west in Aspen and Vail a couple of towns with traffic problems. However these places have Free Public transportation to help ease the flow. Yet we share a common ailment. Property values so high in a resort type towns that their employment base must come from outside of town. looks like L.A. into and out of Aspen every day. And up 331 and east and west on 98. And hey lets now widen 98 to 6 lanes now that we're nearly built out to help worsen it all.
NOW VOTE OUT ALL OF WALTON'S COUNTY POLITITIANS

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BeachSteelers said:
Guess whatever's best for the developers is enough for the rest of us :bang:
I believe they gave the go ahead for roundabouts along 30A at 395, 83, and 393. Some people have still yet to decipher the stop sign. I think roundabouts work well in communities where people are use to them, but I have a feeling that with all of the tourists around here who are not familiar with the roundabouts, we will see more traffic accidents at those intersections than ever before. I also think that during the season, they will slow traffic rather than speed it up.

If the BCC had paid me to conduct the study, I could have told them about this problem and would not have recommended such.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Sing along everyone!

They paved paradise and put up a round-about
With a condo-hotels, seawalls, and a Prada bag shop.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a round-about