• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I have been with AT&T for two years, but service is spotty in Grayton, Inlet Beach, and inside both Publix for some strange reason. Service in Grayton is non-existent during busy tourist weeks and since I live in Grayton it is a real issue. With the release of the iPhone 4S and given that I am out of contract, I have been shopping around this week. Here is what I've found:

AT&T is the known commodity, and it is less expensive than Verizon.

Verizon is most expensive and has no unlimited data option. My husband is a data hog, and it's the most expensive before overages.

Sprint is the least expensive, but it's coverage maps look spottier than AT&T's maps, of course AT&T maps are works of fiction.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have Verizon - for phone only - and it has a dead spot at Redfish Village and gets fussy in Grayton. Aside from that I usually have coverage when AT&T doesn't work - like on hwy 20.

Believe the Publix issue has more to do with the building construction than the cell provider.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If you need service in Grayton then your question should be who has good service in Grayton. I have AT&T and have had no problem there on a 3gs. I'm wondering if a lot of the coverage complaints result from the Iphone 4's antenna problem. The 4s is supposed to have fixed that.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I know people complain about AT&T, but my coverage is a little spotty in Grayton but not as much as my friend who lives in Grayton. She uses Verizon and this is what she just said:
I have an iPhone with Verizon. I can't get reception inside my house. Have to go outside. Can use all the other features except phone.

SouthernBelle

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2011
SoWal
I have sprint and I am really counting the weeks until our contract expires. We can't make calls or get them most of them time unless we are in Destin. So at home our cells are useless. Text messages also are a hit or miss as they often can not send or be received. I've heard Verizon works best for coverage but if they no longer have an unlimited data plan- that will not give you the service you actually need. Sounds like Kurt knows his stuff & maybe AT&T is still the way to go.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
i have an a verizon iphone 4 and my coverage has been awesome in grayton and 99% of 30-a

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I've had the same experience as Ray. Verizon iPhone 4 and great coverage everywhere. Where my calls used to drop a few years ago, they no longer do. I have no problems in Grayton and along 30A. Thankfully, I got my iPhone before they dropped the unlimited data plan so I'm grandfathered in.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I have verizon and have coverage most everywhere in SoWal, and anywhere else I've traveled, while ATT is better than they used to be, their typical coverage is major cities and major roadways.

The gotcha comes in that data package. I have no idea how much data I use, but with the iphone's great web browsing, podcasting, radio, etc, you will want to use it for everything, which requires data. I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data, so it doesn't affect me, but that is kind of crappy on Verizon's part. They will surely make a ton of money off that service.

Bellasmomma33

Beach Lover
Jun 3, 2011
My bf has T-mobile with the unlimited data plan and he gets great service on 30A. Also, they are doing a promo right now 2 lines for $49.99 month! If I weren't locked into a contract with At&T I'd be all over that...saving over $75 month!

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
The Tmobile plan is $49.99 per phone per month. Just know that T-mobile has the fine type about the first 2G each month being at full speed. They will slow down your speed if you start using data. They will throttle you down so that you don't want to use the data after the first 2G each month.

TMobile sounds nice on the surface, but if you read their fine print and google for the problems with their speeds, you will learn that they have a limited amount of data which you get per month at full speed. Then, after that amount is reached, they throttle you down tremendously to make you not want to pull any more data.