30A Rats

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Kim Williams, May 31, 2017.

1. Kim Williams

Kim Williams Beach Crab

We have seen several rats around the building where my family is staying. We have reported it to the property management co., as well as the rental co. that we rented from for the week. I was told today by both of these agencies that rats are a common everyday occurance here. Is that really true? We have been visiting the Sunshine state for well over 50 years and have family that lives in South Florida we have never seen rats anywhere. Is it really true rats are common around here?

2. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

When the snakes are run off or killed, then the rat-mice population increases. You get one or the other. :)

3. Kim Williams

Kim Williams Beach Crab

Thanks for your response. I haven't seen a snake but another person staying in the same complex said they had!

4. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

Rats & Mice are a major problem in FL, many businesses have these small black-grey boxes along their side & rear walls. These are bait stations, they go in and feed and then go off to sleep forever. Many people might object, but it does control the population. If you don't control the population outside they will start to find a way inside. In addition to snakes, outdoor cats are also good in pest control.

5. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I'm not asking where you are staying, but, are you close to any restaurants? Dumpsters do attach vermin.

Black Racers (Snake) are good vermin control and they frighten many more people then a mouse or rat.

To agree with Marmot, vermin are common here and some (beach mouse) are Federally Protected.

6. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

Just a public request, please don't kill the black racers!
    As John G shared, when you walk out the door they'll scare ya, but they are very important to have around. I have one that hangs around the house and always share with the next door S-T rental guests that the snake is present but harmless.

7. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

Pic of my vermin patrol friend;
    Blackee1.jpg

8. Kim Williams

Kim Williams Beach Crab

We are not close to any restaurants, the dumpster for the property is a bit of a walk too. I have not personally seen any snakes just the rats! Where I'm from rats are no good no good!!! In fact the heath department would put a place on notice to get rid of them or close up. I was completely taken back when I was told today that these are very common in FL., especially since I have been visiting this beautiful state for over 50 years and have never experienced anything like this situation.

9. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

They are moving here in droves. No income tax and one of their own as Guv.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. gumby

gumby Beach Lover

Wherever their are people, there will be rats. Some good, some bad.

11. Sun Chaser

Sun Chaser Beach Lover

Leave snakes alone and you get less rodents. Snakes are critical to the ecosystem here. Just walk away from them.

12. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

Rental companies will tell you anything.:cuss: I've been coming to Sowal for close to 20 years myself and have never seen rats.

13. BeachArkie

BeachArkie Beach Lover

There are always lot of critters around, but rats when there isn't a restaurant or dumpster around is a bit odd.

We do have beach mice, they're a protected species and quite cute looking.

14. Tyrone Magnanimous

Tyrone Magnanimous Beach Comber

Ma'am, just so I understand, you saw rats outside of a building?
    I can assure you that every city and town in Florida has plenty of rats, south Florida even more than up here.
    I'm not sure what you hoped the rental company could do about outdoor rats anymore than if you saw squirrels.

15. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

Brace yourself, there are bears here too. And coyotes. Rats are common in every corner of the country and the world. Just because you're at a resort, doesn't mean the wildlife just goes away.

16. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Bobcats too

17. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

Poisonous snakes everywhere!

18. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

and snippy SOWALers......

19. erceill

erceill Beach Comber

Beach mice are federally protected and it is against the law to kill one much less disturb his home. Everyone thinks a bear is cute but want a colony of feral cats to kill a federally protected rat. They claim to keep snakes down. I don't think a feral cat is going to kill a 5' timber rattler or a 5' moscussin. They only kill the good snakes. What you want a colony of is possums. They for the most part a immune to snake bites (except corals) and will eat them. They are so cute are they and are not pc like cat. Bring back the Ethel the Doberman at seacrest beach. No rat, cat or snake problems.

20. Crabbyfrye

Crabbyfrye Beach Comber

Ok I am moving to the area on Jan 5 th :clap:and you all are just creeping me outttttt.... :nono::nono::michael: