• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
51Pl5kMY38L__SL500_AA240_.jpg

Visiting Author Finds His Inspiration Along 30A

When Stephen Medici visited Florida’s panhandle in 2006 for the first time, he didn’t expect it to have a life-changing effect on him. He and his wife, Colleen, were just hoping to experience a few weeks of relaxation on the white sandy beaches Colleen found through her internet search. They rented a small house in Rosemary beach, sight unseen, and decided to spend the month of February catching up on reading, jogging, golf and tennis.

But the natural beauty of the sea against the dunes, the wind against the long grasses, inspired him. He felt this was the right place and time to finally finish the novel he’d started so many years before; the one he’d shoved aside while raising a family and working the long hours Wall Street demands. And so, sitting in a comfortable wooden chair on the Rosemary Beach walk-overs, he found the tranquility that so often becomes motivation.

That motivation became Medici’s first novel- Adverse Selection (paperback from Thea & Golf Publishing). The 425-page mystery blends actual events and real people with creative supposition. Set in 1976, Adverse Selection asks the haunting question- ‘Why would anyone confess to a murder they didn’t commit?’ The answer lies in the drama that comes as much from the main character’s greed and arrogance as it does fromthe gentle winds that blow off the Gulf at sunset.

“What could be more timely than a story of corporate royalty, chief execs and senior managements that seem constantly embroiled in scandals and ethics violations?” says Medici. “Enron, WorldCom and crooks eager to steal the last dime from retirees provide endless plotlines for thriller writers and you don’t have to make this stuff up.”

Less than two years after first arriving in Rosemary Beach, Medici and his wife have settled into a home they purchased in Seacrest Beach and the novel, inspired by the beaches along 30A, has hit the bookstores. “It took something as inspirational as this gorgeous coastline to get me to finish the story I started almost 30 years ago,” said Medici.

To distance his motivations from those of his story’s antagonist, Medici has pledged all proceeds from the sale of Adverse Selection to his favorite charity, the Harry Chapin Food Bank. He will be signing copies of Adverse Selection on Friday, April 11th at Fonville Press in Alys Beach from 4-6 pm. Copies will be available at Fonville Press for $7.99.

Adverse Selection on Amazon

Last edited:

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
NEW THRILLER ABOUT CORPORATE SCANDALS, MURDER

(HUNTINGTON, NY)?Over the years, the Medici family has been the subject of countless thrillers. The powerful Florentine family is synonymous with politics, high finance and intrigue and produced Popes, patrons of Renaissance art, science and architecture, and members of French and English royalty. It is also known for mystery, murder and assassinations.

Now, the latest Medici has come out with a thriller of his own.

Stephen Medici is the author of the new financial thriller Adverse Selection. A frequent guest lecturer at the NYU School of Business, Mr. Medici has used his insider experience to write a nail-biting tale of scandal and murder in the insurance industry.

?What could be better subject matter for a book than today?s corporate royalty?chief execs and upper management who seem constantly embroiled in scandals and ethic violations?? says Mr. Medici. ?Enron and WorldCom, multibillion-dollar trade flim-flams, Internet Ponzi scams, and crooks who steal the last dimes from retirees provide endless plotlines for thriller writers.?

Over his thirty-year career, Mr. Medici has witnessed his own share of hair-raising abuses of corporate stewardship on the part of senior executives.

?In fact, my book is based on a very real event that took place when I was just starting my career,? he notes.

Thrillers have always followed trends. Over the last forty years, readers have enjoyed Cold War spies and TV courtroom lawyers; now, as America faces economic uncertainty, it makes sense that the financial thriller would have its day. The genre started around the same time that Mr. Medici began his own business career. Christopher Reich, Paul Erdman and Katherine Neville are just some of the best-selling names associated with financial thrillers.

In Adverse Selection, a killer threatens to murder policyholders of a giant life insurance company each day unless his demands are met. The drama comes as much from mystery, manipulations and subterfuge as it does from the main character?s greed and arrogance?the source of much of the problems with today?s business environment, according to Mr. Medici.

Executives who have recently been featured in the media for abusing their authority include:
? Gregory L. Reyes Jr., ex-CEO of Brocade Communication Systems, sentenced for stock option backdating
? Executives at the Berkshire Hathaway and former executives at AIG, charged with participating in a plan to manipulate AIG?s financial statements
? Conrad Black, convicted of mail fraud
? Angela Timmons, convicted of embezzlement, in which she stole $7 million from Peace Textile America, Inc.

?My hope is that my book will spread awareness of the scandals that go unseen in many corporations, and that it will teach people how deception and greed can tear a business apart,? says Mr. Medici.

All proceeds raised from Adverse Selection will be donated to the Long Island Cares Harry Chapin Food Bank.

Stephen Medici has over thirty years of corporate business experience. He earned a bachelor?s degree in psychology from SUNY and a master?s in industrial relations from Pace University. He?s had a short story, called ?The Six Rules of Life? published in the Walton Sun, a Florida newspaper.

But?is he actually related to THE Medicis?

?I don?t think so,? he says. ?But who knows? It certainly would be a thrill to think so.?

olive

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2005
C'mon out and get a book signed on your way to trivia. Steve's a fascinating guy!!!

Besides if you bring a book to trivia it'll make ya look REAL, REAL SMART!!!;-)

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
i've already got a signed copy - cause i'm cool like that!