• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Emailing them and asking them for no more high density developments in Sowal-:scratch: is that fully baked or not cuz that's what I was thinkin'? ;-)

If the project is allowable in the code, asking them to deny the project is probably not going to work.

Why not just fix the code? I have spoken to Anita Paige about this extensively and really think that we need some sort of a zoning program. This land use thing is a confusing piece of local legislation that is very difficult to apply to any specific project or problem.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
I mean is that not asking clearly enough? Should I ask the commissioners something more about this or add anything to my email immediately other than to please not allow more high density developments? Just not clear what you meant by half baked ideas, br, could harm more than help. Sure don't want to do that. :blink:

I mean is that not asking clearly enough? Should I ask the commissioners something more about this or add anything to my email immediately other than to please not allow more high density developments? Just not clear what you meant by half baked ideas, br, could harm more than help. Sure don't want to do that. :blink:
It was a generalized warning, definitely not directed at you. I definitely wasn't suggesting that you have any half-baked ideas.

I have just heard so many individuals (including lawyers :yikes:) make half-baked comments at Planning Department and BCC meetings that didn't help their cause. I was also warning people to speak wisely whenever they contact a commissioner or Ms. Blackshear because their comments are public record.

Last edited:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Do we need more pillows? You'd think the new rooms down at grand blvd would be enough. I guess the developer's thinking he can still sell rooms closer to the beach. And, that he can fill them by being able to charge a more competitive rate than the stuff already available on and around 30a.

Smiling JOe, it's quite the catch-22. We want the tourists here, there will more more permanent residents, and there's going to be no place to park them. The county is already behind the curve in land acquisition for any public use, let alone parking. Maybe, like everybody else, they're waiting for the market to hit rock bottom to buy:lolabove: We're in trouble, as seen in the 'rights' thread, and I don't see the county doing anything soon. I was quite surprised to hear that the co. atty hadn't moved an inch on the county's resolution/stance the other night at the meeting. Had he forgotten? Does he not the the agenda? They need to be dealing with this yesterday.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
WaltonGOP, There are professionals who handle the things like determining traffic counts and tourists beach trips. I am not one of those professionals. Projects have to provide these things like traffic counts in order to see what roads will be impacted by their development. I don't think it is rocket science to try and establish a maximum number of those guests who might go to the beach at the same, like on July 4. In this particular case, I don't think it requires an expert of any kind to guess which beach access these guests will attempt to use.

Regarding the $200 per day to create a safe environment for not only the tourists, but the locals, I DO think that is cheap. I'd guess your life is not that valuable if you don't think the money is worth it. I am all for some parking areas being purchased by the County. The County needs to realize that just as a project like a hotel will cause more wear and tear on the roads, and potentially change traffic flows in that area, it will also impact the beaches where those people will be going. Surely, they didn't select that location because of the proximity to the golf courses and shopping. The hotel doesn't service people within the adjacent neighborhoods, which is the purpose of VMU zoning.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
How do you define enough? Personally, I think that is a market decision. I would not want to build another one in an area that was only at 50% utilization. But others may.
I think enough is when you feel like a mouse in a maze and you can reachy out and touchy the next couple of group on the beach.
I was attracted to sowal in the first place because of the feeling of wide open spaces. Those are few and far between now. When I drove through there last Aug. I didn't need any utilization figures to think "please no more" to much to close is already there. Just look in Grayton, they tore down the older smaller houses and replaced each one with a 4 story (the max) Yes, I know there is a flip side. This is just my side. But then I want to cry when I'm in Gulf Shores and places that have those dam 50 story condos on the beach.One of my colleger roommates owns one in a new high rise there.She just can't understand why I hate the 2m$concrete thing.
Sorry, I'm sure this post wwill set someone off. 1. I'm not in a good mood
2.I'm bored 3. I liked feeling like I was in the country at the beach, with the communities close but not touching each other. I'm thankful there is so much state land around Grayton!!!!Oh one more thing, when there is development on the beach side, I want it to be small and one of a kind.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I think enough is when you feel like a mouse in a maze and you can reachy out and touchy the next couple of group on the
Sorry, I'm sure this post wwill set someone off. 1. I'm not in a good mood
2.I'm bored 3. I liked feeling like I was in the country at the beach, with the communities close but not touching each other. I'm thankful there is so much state land around Grayton!!!!Oh one more thing, when there is development on the beach side, I want it to be small and one of a kind.

Okay well first I have gone to the beach all my life and it does not have the allure for me any longer. But growing up in Pensacola, we use to drive to Navarre before it was discovered to go to the beach. Then we started driving to Grayton to go for the day. So I fully understand wanting to be alone. Heck I remember 20 years ago pitching a tent and a fire at Inlet Beach for a weekend and the only thing you would see were the unclothed looking for a bit of privacy. But it is crowded. Could that be fixed by finding a better way to use all the State land that is down there?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Regarding the $200 per day to create a safe environment for not only the tourists, but the locals, I DO think that is cheap. I'd guess your life is not that valuable if you don't think the money is worth it. I am all for some parking areas being purchased by the County. The County needs to realize that just as a project like a hotel will cause more wear and tear on the roads, and potentially change traffic flows in that area, it will also impact the beaches where those people will be going. Surely, they didn't select that location because of the proximity to the golf courses and shopping. The hotel doesn't service people within the adjacent neighborhoods, which is the purpose of VMU zoning.

I did not believe I stated it was cheap or expensive. I did ask you what dollar amount would be too expensive. I have always thought it interesting when people use an argument such as you did. If that argument is going to be credible, I think everyone has to know how much is too much. That way totally outlandish solutions could be quantified and discarded. But again just my ramblings.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I did not believe I stated it was cheap or expensive. I did ask you what dollar amount would be too expensive. I have always thought it interesting when people use an argument such as you did. If that argument is going to be credible, I think everyone has to know how much is too much. That way totally outlandish solutions could be quantified and discarded. But again just my ramblings.
I understand your question, but find it to be irrelevant in this case because the price for that lot was fixed terms. As more homes are built on the existing lots, and more developments are added, our parking will be inadequate. At some point, you have to address that lack of what I'm calling infrastructure. If not, there will be a point in time when buying or leasing parking lots for beachgoers may be too expensive or unattainable. My Grandfather taught me not to put the cart before the horse, and I thought it was funny that he liked to state the obvious, but I guess there is a reason why he liked to state the obvious -- not everybody sees it.;-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I understand your question, but find it to be irrelevant in this case because the price for that lot was fixed terms. As more homes are built on the existing lots, and more developments are added, our parking will be inadequate. At some point, you have to address that lack of what I'm calling infrastructure. If not, there will be a point in time when buying or leasing parking lots for beachgoers may be too expensive or unattainable. My Grandfather taught me not to put the cart before the horse, and I thought it was funny that he liked to state the obvious, but I guess there is a reason why he liked to state the obvious -- not everybody sees it.;-)

I think that is where free markets will come into play. Seems to be doing some of the work now.