78,000 sf Walmart coming to SoWal [opening June15]

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by Kurt Lischka, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

First of all, I do not understand what a "sock puppet" is but I am astute enough to recognize it is not something desirable. Secondly, whatever it is, you are not necessarily one just because you disagee with your position. A little respect from some on both sides of this issue would be nice.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. Douglas the Intrepid

Douglas the Intrepid Beach Fanatic

On the shores of paradise, Seagrove Beach
    Hello Andy! A sock puppet is a fake forum user account set up exclusively for the purpose of furthering the agenda of a normal poster by giving the appearance of additional support or the freedom to be rude or baiting without any accountability. Sock puppets are generally unhealthy additions to any forum, though they can be amusing. ;-)

3. rdelong43065

rdelong43065 Beach Fanatic

Hmmm... I always thought that was more of a troll than a puppet. Anyway, I have lived in this are my entire life. I don't need to be lectured on my views and the environment. I support local business as well as chain stores. I don't speak out much, but this is driving me nuts. The store is coming like it or not and 98 will be developed like it or not.

4. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I do occasionally sportingly poke the hypersensitive, but I do fully support the construction of the SOWALMART. I'm thinking that the sun will continue to rise and set over scenic 30-A regardless of what is placed in the (never terribly scenic to begin with) commercial strip of HWY 98 that was destined for development anyway. To see some of the irrational hysteria one would think a mega-abortion clinic or nuclear waste storage facility was being built there. Of all the truly important challenges we have to face as a community, we are going to lose our minds over a small scale Wal-Mart? Get over it!:lol:

5. rdelong43065

rdelong43065 Beach Fanatic

I think the nuclear waste facility is going in where they just cleared that lot on 395.

6. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Yeah, that's what I heard. And, ya know, if we all glow in the dark, it will be easier to see the wingnuts driving in the golf carts! It's all good. :cool:

7. joho

joho Beach Fanatic

Speaking from someone who has lived here all their life also...........
    I agree with you thisnthat!

I've lived here for years deprived from grocery stores, gas stations, and the convenience of driving down the street for necessities.

The Walmart is coming to Hwy 98 and that pretty much sums up this thread. I'm sure I'll run into some of you Sowallers in the new store.

Get over it and take a stroll on the beach! :cool:

8. walk the walk

walk the walk Beach Fanatic

Redneck riviera,a wonderful state of mind.
    :lolabove: I just about fell out of my chair! So true and quite hilarious at the same time.:clap:

9. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

Seems like there was a drawing of the development posted at one time.:dunno: I can't find it and would like to see it again if anyone can post.

10. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

I was so hoping that small stand of pines along the highway would remain, but I see they've come down. Bummer.

11. amw

amw Beach Comber

Haven't read through all 33 pages, but does anyone know how the parking lot will be lit? The new Publix on 98 kills the night sky. Hopefully Walmart will be more sensitive.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

When the design plans for the Walmart project were approved in late 2009, the engineer said the lights would be shielded and full cut-off, flat lens used in order to avoid light trespass from the property. He also said the lighting plans were dark sky certified. Does anyone know if the lights at the Santa Rosa Beach Publix have been changed out? I heard something about an agreement for that to be done to tame down their lighting.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  13. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

NEW YORK (Reuters) ? Wal-Mart's lengthy struggle to open in New York City has hit fresh problems -- a controversial report that said America's biggest discounter does not just sell cheap, it makes neighborhoods poorer.

The report concludes that Wal-Mart, the biggest U.S. private employer, kills jobs rather than creates them, drives down wages and is a tax burden because it does not give health and other benefits to many part-time employees, leaving a burden on Medicaid and other public programs.

The report is based on 50 studies of Wal-Mart openings and comes as the company tries to gain a foothold in some of New York's poorest neighborhoods.

"The overwhelming weight of the independent research on the impact of Wal-Mart stores ... shows that Wal-Mart depresses area wages and labor benefits ... pushes out more retail jobs than it creates, and results in more retail vacancies," the report concluded.

New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio calls a possible Wal-Mart store in New York "a Trojan horse."

"It looks appealing to a lot of families who are hurting but it turns into a big problem in the long term because of the net elimination of jobs," de Blasio said.

Wal-Mart draws ire even in poor parts of Brooklyn - Yahoo! News

Just a reminder as construction continues on the Sowal Wal-mart. :wave:

14. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Don't worry. The SoWalmart isn't going to happen.

As soon as someone in Corporate realizes that somebody seriously screwed up and accidentally built it right on top of 98 without enough room for a parking lot they'll just knock it down and cut their losses.

;)

15. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

we can only hope. :lol:

16. 30A Skunkape

Dilapidated buildings and empty lots are common and many residents live in public housing in these neighborhoods. The U.S. Census data for 2007-2009 show the median family income in the East New York neighborhood is $33,485; in Brownsville it is $26,802. The median family income in all of New York City is $55,562.

Yeah, Wal MART is gonna freaking ruin this 'hood.:roll:

The arising SOWALMART sure is a pretty sight, isn't it?:wave:

17. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

I'm confused. Why would all those people leave full-time jobs with health insurance to work part-time without it??? :dunno:

18. docsbrown

docsbrown Beach Comber

They wouldn't... it is Walmart presence with its cutting throat prices that will run local business to the ground with consequent loss of full time positions/benefits. :sosad:

19. WeLoveSowal

WeLoveSowal Beach Comber

I agree, that?s going to happen. Once we had lots of small businesses
    in our neighborhoods in germany, we used to call them " Aunt Emmas stores". Now we have got a few big companies like Walmart, Publix, mostly located on the edge of town and almost all of our small stores are gone. That happened no only to foodstores, you can see that trend in many areas of business.

There is only one thing we can do:

Buy local and support the small business

20. 30A Skunkape

They have Publix in Germany?:dunno: