• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I hate to poop on a happy ending, and it is a happy ending...ultimately...but to me, its also a cautionary tale. For every happy ending like this, is one that ends badly. With an unwanted animal being dumped off with friends (who later dump it off at a shelter or a/c facility because they can't care for it either), particularly if that animal is older, has behavioral problems, or is an undesireable breed.

I guess I wonder why people who are even remotely likely to be sent overseas adopt pets. Pets are at the mercy of unforseen circumstances all the time, but being sent overseas if you are military or in a field that requires travel isn't "unforseen." If you cannot make plans to care for your pet for the entire life of the pet (which may be up to 20+ years) then don't get one. I'm sure rehoming this pet was traumatic for the owner who felt pushed into a corner. Let's hope he learned a lesson as well -- not to adopt another pet while he is still in a position of being unable to guarantee (to the best of probability) a permanent home for a pet.

P.S. I've also had the experience -- many times -- of a happy ending where an animal is placed and everyone is happy, and yet the NEW family gives the animal up because of landlord issues, dog compatibility issues, child compatability issues...and by then the original owner is long gone and unaware of the dog's plight.

I hate to poop on a happy ending, and it is a happy ending...ultimately...but to me, its also a cautionary tale. For every happy ending like this, is one that ends badly. With an unwanted animal being dumped off with friends (who later dump it off at a shelter or a/c facility because they can't care for it either), particularly if that animal is older, has behavioral problems, or is an undesireable breed.

I guess I wonder why people who are even remotely likely to be sent overseas adopt pets. Pets are at the mercy of unforseen circumstances all the time, but being sent overseas if you are military or in a field that requires travel isn't "unforseen." If you cannot make plans to care for your pet for the entire life of the pet (which may be up to 20+ years) then don't get one. I'm sure rehoming this pet was traumatic for the owner who felt pushed into a corner. Let's hope he learned a lesson as well -- not to adopt another pet while he is still in a position of being unable to guarantee (to the best of probability) a permanent home for a pet.

P.S. I've also had the experience -- many times -- of a happy ending where an animal is placed and everyone is happy, and yet the NEW family gives the animal up because of landlord issues, dog compatibility issues, child compatability issues...and by then the original owner is long gone and unaware of the dog's plight.

I totally understand your words but in this case if the new adopted family doesnt work and anything changes for Jake the Lab. I WILL TAKE HIM IN... so there is a back up in place just in case. but I doubt very much that this will happen.:D

k bomb

Beach Comber
Aug 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I totally understand your words but in this case if the new adopted family doesnt work and anything changes for Jake the Lab. I WILL TAKE HIM IN... so there is a back up in place just in case. but I doubt very much that this will happen.:D

I live in SRB with two black labs already......what's a little more dog hair!