• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
A few days ago, Marilyn, the house mother at the Path of Grace Recovery Home in Freeport, was greeted in the pre-dawn morning by a large white bulldog with a brown face. She was alarmed by this intruder, but it quickly became clear that the dog was lost and meant no harm.

The women in recovery at the Path of Grace have long wanted a dog to look after, but busy Hwy 20 sixty feet from the door is too great a risk. Having a beloved pet run over might be too traumatic to handle in early sobriety. Alaqua Animal Refuge was called and then Walton Co. Animal Control. My heart sank when I heard they had called the dog catcher.

To my relief, when Animal Control arrived the female bull dog made a bee-line for the new building and safely hid until they left.

I brought out my camera so the girls could snap her picture, a bag of dog food and got ready to post a lost dog notice about her.

Over the next few days the girls began to call her Gracie, and she answered to it and warmed up to the attention she was getting.

We had a fundraiser last Thursday by Shirley Simpson who performed her new one-woman play "Gracie Allen" at Grace Lutheran Church in Destin, in support of the Path of Grace. Shirley said "That's a whole lot of Grace".

The next morning, Gracie the pitbull was standing in the yard and a truck speeding by hit its brakes. It was her owner! He said she had been missing for two weeks. It was a joyful reunion and we found out that "Gracie"s real name was Sadie. The owner's daughter was named...Gracie!

Just wanted to share this tail-waggin' happy ending!