• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
If you live near or next door to a short term rental, then no doubt you know about the parking, NOISE, and other related issues. It is maddening. Yes, tourism is important to the local economy but when the house next to you resembles a frat house, it's reasonable to be able to implement pragmatic rules that respect the locals.

There are two bills in the 2017 legislative session that will offer less or more control to the local cities/counties. Source article: The Fight Over Short Term Rentals - Two Competing Bills Could Change the Short Term Rental Landscape in Florida - Lexology

SB 188 would take away local control and allow the state to write the rules for short term vacation rentals. Senate Bill 0188 (2017) - The Florida Senate
Encourage your State Senator, Senator Gainer, to vote NO on this bill. Senator Gainer - The Florida Senate

House Bill 6003 would ALLOW local counties/cities to write rules unique to their local area. House Bill 6003 (2017) - The Florida Senate
Representative Brad Drake represents Walton County: Florida House of Representatives - Brad Drake - 2016 - 2018 ( Speaker Corcoran )

Thank you.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Related to special interests tryout shut down Rentals by owner? Specifically AirBnB?

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Rentals by Owner are fine, as long as they are not in Deed Restricted Communities that do not allow short term vacation rentals.

All "rentals by owner" are not fine. Many owners don't live in the area and just see the homes are ATMs, rent to whoever, neighbors to the rental be damned. It is these that will, hopefully, bring about more restrictions.

Local control is USUALLY better, but with the trajectory that Walton County is taking, a resident who lives near a weekly rental funhouse will most likely be ignored. Defuniak will not interfere with anything that keeps the tax dollars flowing North.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
All "rentals by owner" are not fine. Many owners don't live in the area and just see the homes are ATMs, rent to whoever, neighbors to the rental be damned. It is these that will, hopefully, bring about more restrictions.

Local control is USUALLY better, but with the trajectory that Walton County is taking, a resident who lives near a weekly rental funhouse will most likely be ignored. Defuniak will not interfere with anything that keeps the tax dollars flowing North.
What tax dollars are specifically speaking of, those collected by the TDC that are paid by the renyers of said property or the ad valorem taxes paid by said owner? I don't own property south of 98, I also know that south of the intracostal, pays the lions share of taxes in Walton County, but what exactly are the services that are received for those taxes? What services are you willing to do without?

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
A lot of folks would be willing to do without the services of attorneys defending the county against its indefensible conduct, an unfortunately regular occurrence. We'd do without paying for some county employees taking county vehicles home in violation of policy and repeated warnings. I'm going to impose a strict 10 million word limit on my listing of things we could do without. In fact, I'll stop now. The phrasing of the questions needs some work, Bob.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
A lot of folks would be willing to do without the services of attorneys defending the county against its indefensible conduct, an unfortunately regular occurrence. We'd do without paying for some county employees taking county vehicles home in violation of policy and repeated warnings. I'm going to impose a strict 10 million word limit on my listing of things we could do without. In fact, I'll stop now. The phrasing of the questions needs some work, Bob.
Good with the phrasing, sorry about yhe spelling. Thumbs sometimes hit multiple letters.