1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

A Party with a Purpose @ Bud & Alley's. Sun Sep 20, 3-8pm. benefit for Kim Estes.

Discussion in 'Events and Activities' started by Dave Rauschkolb, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Kim Estes

Kim Estes is a dear friend and 9 year employee of Bud & Alley's. Kim started out as a bartender and has been our Special Event's and wedding coordinator for the past 2 years. 4 days ago she was admitted to Sacred Heart in Sandestin complaining of numbness in her feet and arms.

I just spoke with Kim's mother, Kim has been transferred to Pensacola Sacred Heart Hospital because her condition has worsened. Tragically she has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barr? Syndrome.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

The Syndrome has progressed to the point that she is completely paralyzed from the neck down. She is on a breathing ventilator and feeding tube. She is alert enough to know what is going on but she is having a hard time speaking as well. Most people with this condition almost fully recover but it could take up to a year or longer. Kim's mom has asked that flowers not be sent at this time.

I am going to start an account at Wachovia bank in Seaside on Monday for financial donations to help her mother with expenses and helping with Kim's care. Fortunately, Kim's health insurance should cover most of this. In the near future, I will be organizing a fund raiser for Kim at Bud & Alley's. In the short term I will start a posting on this forum to keep everyone updated on her condition and the fund raiser.

(Kirt, please forward this posting to the appropriated place in your forum)

Please keep Kim in your prayers to keep her strong and bring her through these difficult first weeks and ultimately fully heal her. Thank you.

Dave

--
    Dave Rauschkolb
    Owner/Operator
    S.W.D.R Grill Inc. DBA
    Bud & Alley's Restaurant
    TACO BAR
    PIZZA BAR

Bud and Alley's Waterfront Restaurant and Rooftop Bar, Seaside, Florida, South Walton County, Reservations, Cuisine, Relaxed Atmosphere, 30A

Mail:
    P.O. BOX 611602
    Rosemary Beach
    Florida 32461

Call:
    Direct Cellular 850-865-1061

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

Thanks for putting this up, Dave. Ed had just forwarded me your email.

Kim is so strong and determined I have no doubt that she is going to turn around. When we saw her on Thursday she was really angry about the whole thing. I know she will use that energy to fight back. All of our energy and prayer is going out to her right now.

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

GB is crazy stuff. Kim is awesome and she is in our thoughts and prayers. I have known 2 people affected like Kim, and both made a full, but drawn out, recovery. Support is needed for her and her family!

Thanks Dave for letting us know.

4. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Wow. I've heard of GB disease but never knew the details. I wish Kim the best with her recovery and, given what people have said about her on this board, I believe she will be one of those who makes a full recovery. Sending healing thoughts and prayers Kim's way.

5. grace

grace Beach Fanatic

My gosh.
    Sending prayers to Kim and her family.
    Please keep us updated.

6. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

Best to Kim. Have a friend who had this some time ago, and he made a full recovery. Thanks for sharing. Our prayers to her and her family as they travel the road of healing.

7. MaryAnne

MaryAnne Beach Lover

Having spent several wonderful eveining at BA, I will keep Kim in my prayers.

8. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

Spoke to one of the managers at Bud's tonight who had heard that Kim squeezed the doctor's hand today. This could be very good news. Hope to get more concrete information in the morning on her condition.

9. Deli Love

Deli Love Beach Fanatic

All I can offer are prayers for Kim and family. Dave, please keep us posted on her progress. I know it will be a hard time for the family but the love and support from this bunch means a lot.

10. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

thanks for sharing this with the community Dave. I do not know Kim personally, but I do know we'll all be pulling for her in the weeks to come, hoping for a full and speedy recovery, and I know this community will be there to provide financial and other support as needed. :wub:

Love and strength to Kim and family.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  11. Dave Rauschkolb

Update on Kim Estes #1

I just spoke with Kim's Mom and Kim is improving. She has movement in her arms and one leg. While she can't talk, she is alert and can communicate with nods. She is off the Morphine as well which is good. Her Mom is with her now and hopefully she will improve to the point when we can visit her. She is in Pensacola at Sacred Heart and just underwent a procedure called plamapheresis. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmapheresis]Plasmapheresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] She is not taking visitors yet but hopefully can in the next few days. Kim has been very brave and cooperative through all this. Most people do recover fully but it takes a long time. Tami Kerr's sister had it and fully recovered which is very heartening news.

12. Walton Outdoors

Walton Outdoors Beach Fanatic

Good vibes and prayers for Kim and hopes for her speedy recovery.

13. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    More prayers for Kim and her family. Keep us posted Dave.

14. jessifunn

jessifunn superJfunn

OMG I just saw this Kim is my favorite old school bartender of all time
    thanks for letting us know Dave

15. Susan Vallee

Susan Vallee Beach Lover

Kim

That is amazing Dave. I'm shocked at the quickness of the progression. We'll put something in the next edition of the paper too. Maybe that will help. Everyone who goes to B&A knows Kim's smile.

16. Dave Rauschkolb

Kim Estes Update and Address for donations

I've set up an account at Wachovia Bank in Seaside for anyone who would like to make a donation to Kim's Assistance fund. She will have a long recovery at home once she is released from the hospital.

We are planning a large fund raiser in mid September with several live bands and a silent auction at Bud & Alley's

Checks may be made out to:

Kim Estes Assistance Fund
    P.O. Box 4898 - Seaside Branch
    Santa Rosa Beach

Here is an update on Kim's condition

Kim is still is breathing on a respirator and feeding tube. She has been able to squeeze her Mom's hand and move one of her legs. She has undergone 4 plasma replacement therapies in an effort to slow the progression of the Syndrome. She is still on morphine due to the pain related to the breathing tube. The Dr.s are trying to encourage her to try breath on her own. Being on the breathing machine for more than 10 days has a danger of Pneumonia.

Thank you for all your continued concern and prayers for Kim.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  17. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

I knew someone who had this disease a number of years ago. At first, everybody who knew him was just as scared as y'all must be right now, and yes, it took awhile, but he did recover. Best wishes to Kim and her family.:wave:

18. Dave Rauschkolb

Kim Estes Update latest update, Sunday August 9

A good day for Kim yesterday!! She is beginning to breath on her own so hopefully she will be off the respirator and morphine soon. Even though she can't communicate verbally she is showing signs of strength and determination to get through this. She is aware of her situation and realizes she will recover in time. Please keep the good wishes and prayers coming!!

Dave

19. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Dave, Balder and I will play at the fundraiser if you need us. We love Kim and want to do anything we can to help. Let us know.

20. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

She is in my prayers. Please post on her progress, Dave!! Thank you!!