• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Several United Methodist Churches in the area have planned an exciting celebration for Veterans Day this year. The celebration will include patriotic music and a special production from a Nashville theatre company, entitled My Father’s War.

A Tribute to Veterans: My Father's War will be performed at Point Washington United Methodist Church in Point Washington on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 3pm. Free and open to the public.

My Father’s War is the story of a WWII veteran who reflects, at the end of his life, on the war, what he experienced in war, and the sacrifices every veteran makes. It is a wonderful tribute to our veterans! http://www.carolandrobert.com

11406234_874697849263474_3960200756005505783_o.jpg

A Tribute to Veterans: My Father's War will be hosted by:
First United Methodist Church (Port St. Joe) on November 8 at 6:00 PM
St. Andrews UMC (Panama City) on November 9 at 6:00 PM
Point Washington UMC (Santa Rosa Beach) on November 12 at 3:00 PM
First United Methodist Church (Ft. Walton) on November 13 at 6:00 PM

Every church will offer a unique presentation of patriotic music before the play, My Father’s War. Special ways to recognize and appreciate veterans is also planned by each of the area churches.

My Father’s War, A Story of War, Survival and Grace is written, directed and performed by Carol Ponder and Robert Kiefer. It is based on the memoir, “Ponder Anew” that was written by Carol’s father, Lt. Hershel Ponder. Carol and Robert have over 50 years of experience performing in venues including The Kennedy Center, The Tennessee Performing Arts Center, The Alabama Shakespeare Festival, and numerous art centers, theaters, and colleges/universities in the United States.

My Father’s War is the story of Carol’s father who enlisted in the Army Air Corps right after Pearl Harbor and fought in WWII. Carol writes, “After not talking about his war for 44 years, my father found real healing from his war’s invisible wounds by writing and sharing his story. Every word that is spoken by Robert, who plays my father, is straight from my father’s original manuscript. To augment the sense of time and place, we’ve enriched the story with family favorite songs from the period.”

My Father’s War has been recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs as a wonderful catalyst for healing and dialogue. Everyone is invited to attend this memorable event.

Carol Ponder and Robert Kiefer performing the play, My Father’s War

Pat Luna, organizer and member of Point Washington UMC:
“One of my father’s most important identities was that of veteran. I am so proud of my father’s legacy and service to our country. We have so many veterans in our area so we wanted to organize a special recognition of these men and women for Veterans Day. I am thrilled that these four churches have worked together to bring an amazing tribute together for the people in our area! It is going to be wonderful!”
Point Washington UMC
1290 N County Highway 395
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida 32459

Dr. Geoffrey Lentz, pastor of First United Methodist Church of Port St Joe:
“We are excited to hold this community-wide event to celebrate all of our veterans. Hearing these powerful stories of sacrifice and devotion inspire us to follow in their footsteps in service to God and our country.”
First United Methodist Church of Port St Joe
1001 Constitution Dr.; Port St. Joe, FL 32456

Rev. Amy Persons, pastor of St. Andrews UMC:
”Our community has a long tradition of recognizing our veterans and their service with parades, with efforts to support growth and recovery through initiatives like Wounded Warrior, and with notes of encouragement and care packages for active military women and men. We are humbled by the opportunity to have Carol Ponder and Robert Kiefer now share the personal story of Lt. Hershel Ponder in hopes that it will give us a deeper sense of compassion for those who have silently carried their memories for so many years."
Saint Andrew United Methodist Church
2001 W 11th Street; Panama City, Florida 32401

Rev. Dave Barkalow, pastor FUMC, Ft Walton:
“First United Methodist Church of Fort Walton Beach is excited to offer this opportunity to recognize and honor our veterans. It is an honor!”
First UMC of Fort Walton
103 First St SE ; Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548

Last edited: