• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
This is happening now. This is the information I have. Wanted to get it out due to the serious nature and the time of day.

Kevin at the (WZEP) newsdesk.

Accident

An accident around 3:30pm Thursday afternoon between a dump truck and an SUV sent several to the hospital and one had to be set free. The accident also took the life of at least one. The patients included small children. The accident happened between the dump truck and an SUV on Highway 331 south near Bay Grove Road, just north of the bridge. Emergency responders were called the scene with a possible entrapment. When they arrived, they found one individual entrapped and had to call for additional equipment to free the patient. AirHeart 3 was dispatched and is landing now. It also appreas Gulf-Flight 1 is also in route.

Freeport Fire and Walton County Fire-Rescue were the main responders. Animal control was also needed at the scene. The FHP is investigating and we should have more information later.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Unofficially, I am hearing that the road has been cleared, but there is one fatality. :sosad:

ATLGIRL

Beach Comber
Oct 6, 2008
Road not open!!!

Unofficially, I am hearing that the road has been cleared, but there is one fatality. :sosad:

Unfortunately, I listened to the user above that was posted at 4:13. It is now 5:43 and the road is not cleared. I REPEAT>>>THE ROAD IS NOT CLEARED! The WCSO is directing traffic through Chat Holley to go around either by Panama City or Destin. I was told by the officer that the road would possibly remain closed for another 2 hours. PLease plan your time and route around this tragedy.

topeze

Beach Comber
Mar 22, 2009
I called the police to find out. Basically, the accident was right north of the bridge, so there will be no traffic going through for the next couple of hours. You can get to the north entrance of Bay Grove Road headed south on 331, but there's no telling how long it will take due to all the traffic.

Hope that helps! Just means that I might as well get more work done and forstall the horrible traffic.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You beat me to it!

I was out roaming Sowal and thought it was just people trying to turn left onto 331 from CH that was holding things up - then was surprised to see the cops directing traffic and telling everyone the bridge was closed.

Traffic is backing up down Chat Holley and it's a parking lot all the way to 98.

krisnicjohn

Beach Comber
Dec 30, 2007
Walton County Native
Now the FHP website is reporting another accident in Freeport at 20 and 331. It didn't specify if it was 331 North (the old part of the road) or 331 South (the new part of the road). Anyone hear anything about that one? Trying to figure out if I can leave work at Gulf Place to get home to DeFuniak!

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
The wreck at 20 and 331 was clearing up about a half hour ago. We sat on the bridge for almost an hour and turned around on our own. Prayers are with all involved.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Update from WZEP

This was emailed 1 hour ago.

Listen to the Mp3 file for Today's News Segment 0 http://www.wzep1460.com/Friday%20Segment%200.mp3

Accident

An accident around 3:30pm Thursday afternoon between a dump truck and an SUV sent several to the hospital and one had to be set free. The accident also took the life of at least one. The patients included small children. The accident happened between the dump truck and an SUV on Highway 331 south near Bay Grove Road, just north of the bridge. Emergency responders were called the scene with a possible entrapment. When they arrived, they found one individual entrapped and had to call for additional equipment to free the patient. AirHeart 3 and Gulf-Flight were both dispatched. The highway was tied up for several hours, delaying many going north from work from getting home.

Freeport Fire and Walton County Fire-Rescue were the main responders. Animal control was also needed at the scene. The FHP is investigating and we should have more information later.

As the accident tied up the roadway and the Clyde B. Wells bridge, after almost 2 hours the news came that the road would be closed for another hour. Like accidents in the past, after a long time of traffic tied up and people coming down the roadway before being notified, the drivers were turning around on the bridge. After two hours, a request came in to have an officer go south of the accident and let people know to turn around before traveling all the way up the road. You might remember past accident involving the bridge and other roads where the road was blocked for multiple hours. One accident where a truck went over the bridge had drivers coming all the way down from Highway 20 before being told the roadway was and would be closed and having to turn around. This time, after two hours of people turning around, the FHP requested a Sheriff deputy to go south and let people know about the blocked road before getting on the bridge.

Evangeline

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2007
They are not stopping people who are southbound on 331and 20 (which would make the most sense) in Freeport, but instead have an officer stopping them farther up on 331 just south of Hwy 3280. So then they either have to wait or turn around and go all the way back to 20 to detour, I guess.

Any word on how much longer until the traffic starts moving across the bridge again?