• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Be aware, I have heard Gulf-front owners trying to decide what to do about their property. More importantly, I have heard a small handfull of folks talking about quickly doing whatever they want without getting permitted to do so. They fear the gov't may not allow them to do so otherwise. They are thinking about asking for forgiveness rather than permission. :nono1:. We need to monitor the importing of sand/dirt. I certainly don't think the County is willing to do so. By the way, the duty of monitoring is not the job of the County Commissioners. That responsibility, I am told, belongs to the Code Enforcement.

Let's encourage these people to do the right thing. They may be able to save their homes/property as well as keep our beaches clean. Perhaps we can work together to find a meaningful solution for everyone. The right solution may require thinking outside the box. I don't want to see people lose their homes any more than I want to see dirt covered beaches around here.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
Has anything changed? Did some people lose some sand/dirt?

The photos below show one example of the change of sand from Katrina. I did not hear these homeowners saying such things. I am simply using their before/after photos for an example of potential erosion from future potential storms. I am, however, picking on these homeowners for leaving there seawall pieces on the beach. :

IMG_1445.JPG

During Katrina - Sunday Aug 28 2005 (You can see the seawall stickin out of the sand. You can also see the leftover pieces of seawall on the ground.) On Saturday Aug 27 there was much more sand in front of the seawall.

IMG_1453.JPG

Close up of shot above.

P8290008.JPG

After Katrina Aug 30 2005

Last edited:

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Smiling JOe said:
By the way, the duty of monitoring is not the job of the County Commissioners. That responsibility, I am told, belongs to the Code Enforcement.
And by their own admission, the Code Enforcement department isn't exactly out sleuthing for offenses either. If citizens file a complaint, they'll investigate and take the appropriate measures, but if no one complains, hey...longer lunch hour for them. Oops, let me take off my cynic hat and rephrase that. They rely on us to help them suss out code violations, because there's not enough man power to do it all.

so keep your eye out...
holmes--magnifying%20glass.gif

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
What's the law on sea walls?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Read this doc for information to homeowners about seawalls, sand, etc.

Seawalls must be permitted through the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). They do not usually allow permanent walls south of the Coastal Construction Line (CCL).

A blanket permit was granted for emergency/temporary seawalls, with the stipulation that they be removed within 60 days of the permit date. The purpose was to allow homeowners to put up retaining walls around properties and then fill in with sand, then remove the walls.

Some homeowners may be requesting, or may have been granted, more permanent permits. I have no knowledge of the current state of affairs.

My guess is that there will be a lot of "temporary" structures hidden by sand. No offense to those who are doing it right and by the rules.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
Seawalls must be permitted through the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). They do not usually allow permanent walls south of the Coastal Construction Line (CCL).

A blanket permit was granted for emergency/temporary seawalls, with the stipulation that they be removed within 60 days of the permit date. The purpose was to allow homeowners to put up retaining walls around properties and then fill in with sand, then remove the walls.

Some homeowners may be requesting, or may have been granted, more permanent permits. I have no knowledge of the current state of affairs.

My guess is that there will be a lot of "temporary" structures hidden by sand. No offense to those who are doing it right and by the rules.

...and I am not positive, but I seem to recall some seawall owners being grandfathered, and able to rebuild seawall lost to storms.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
Seawalls work on the bay, river or lake but are stupid on the gulf unless they are huge and concrete.