Kurt, I have noticed in the "Who's Online" link, in addition to 89 members and 139 guests, there are usually several Google spiders, typically reviewing archives.

What is the story there, and do you (or should members) care about Google or other spiders "lurking"?

I'm a curious newbie who maintains that: "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you." :D

Moondance

Kurt Lischka

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
hf_mars_spiderbot_01.jpg

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/spider_bot_030129.html

Engineer Robert Hoggs spider sense is tingling, but hes no superhero. His spider sense comes from an insect-like robot with a leg up on its wheeled counterparts because it walks instead of rolls.

The spider-bot, developed by Hogg and his team of researchers at NASAs Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), is the latest affordable addition to the agency's robot family. Its legs step over obstacles, clamber up rocks and reach areas of interest that would normally be inaccessible to wheeled rovers that run on flatter paths.

Kurt Lischka

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Spider Bot

A spider or bot is a customizable computer program that crawls around the Web indexing Web pages and or links in those pages. Also called a crawler.​

The spider indexes specific information from each web page that it visits. Many web sites get listed in the search engines when spiders visit their sites and index them to their web catalog. An example of an industrial strength spider is Google?s Googlebot. AltaVista?s spider is called Scooter.

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
kurt said:
:rotfl: Skeerd of spiders?

Spiders are search engine "bots" that follow all the links ("spider") on a web site in order to catalog content. We like spiders. :cool:
just don't like spiders in the lounge, right? :D

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Moondance said:
I'm a curious newbie who maintains that: "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you." :D
Moondance
Don't worry about google - whatever you sent across the net was already sifted by some NSA super computer farm long before any google spide got to it :shock: