• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Hello everyone,

The ?Adopt a Highway? program for Hwy 98 has now been established and SWCC has adopted a section for clean-up. Our section is a two mile strip in the Peach Creek area. There?s litter everywhere!

This Saturday, from 8 am to 10 am, we want to clean up our section. After our initial clean up, we?re required to do a quarterly clean up. We?re going to set up the quarterly dates on our website and we?ll be cleaning in the interim if our section starts getting really trashy.

We?re asking for volunteers. If you can help clean, please come to the old Barrett store building just on the west side of Peach Creek. Its a small white building with a metal roof on the north side of 98. A good landmark is the large red and white tower (microwave?) which is opposite the old Barrett store on the south side of Hwy 98. If you?re coming down 98 from the west, the old store is just before you cross Peach Creek. From the east, its just after Peach Creek. Look for a black truck and some people standing around. That will be us. The owners have graciously given us permission to park in the very front of the building during our clean-up.

We?ll have water, bags, gloves and orange vests. We?ll divide the task up and truck people to their clean-up spots. We will finish by 10 at the latest. We?ll have a truck roving our area during the clean-up. If you can?t stay till 10 just let us know and we?ll get you back to your car before 10.

If you have any questions, please contact Mary Konovsky at 267-3594.

I hope to see you this Saturday.

Anita Page
SWCC Executive Director

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Do you know if they will be working on different beach sections later in the season? ie, October? Wish I could be there to help. :sosad:

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Hey Mango!

I soon as I get an email on upcoming dates I will post.

That is what we could do together in October! Even if they don't have one planned for your visit time we could do one anyway! Last time we biked down the road by Publix toward 98 that stretch looked terrible. I could not believe the litter! Y'all know what my grandmother used to say "Only trash litters!"

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Beachbummett said:
Hey Mango!

I soon as I get an email on upcoming dates I will post.

That is what we could do together in October! Even if they don't have one planned for your visit time we could do one anyway! Last time we biked down the road by Publix toward 98 that stretch looked terrible. I could not believe the litter! Y'all know what my grandmother used to say "Only trash litters!"

I suppose that would constitute exercise :eek: , so guess we'll have to get the guys to throw a few diamonds around 98 if we have to bend down and pick up litter. :funn: