Adorondak chairs and such

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by soozie58, May 28, 2005.

1. soozie58

soozie58 Beach Lover

I met a guy at the Rosemary arts festival a few weeks ago who made adorondak chairs at a very reasonable price, anyone know who it is????

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Don't know, but last year, there was a lady from Panama City who was selling her chairs at Rosemary for the best price around. It could be the same people. If I come across the namem I will post it.

3. Waterman

Waterman Beach Lover

:clap_1: :clap_1: :welcome:

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The guy who sells them at Gulf Place in the artists' kiosks is pretty reasonable.

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The Gulf Place guy is fairly reasonable, but the Panama City lady is around 1/2 the price.

6. Just_In_Thyme

Just_In_Thyme Beach Lover

7. soozie58

soozie58 Beach Lover

any ideas on her name or place of business??????

8. Georgian

Georgian Beach Comber

I have looked at the Adirondack chairs at Gulf Place and they were solidly built and only $99. I don't know if they are still at that price. I would have bought a couple if I knew how to get them back to Atlanta.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I thought I remember the chairs at Gulf Place been a bit more in price. If they are $99, you should definitely consider purchasing some from there.

10. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

I bought a couple at Scavengers. I kind of remember them being $79

11. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Yes, I bought a pair of gorgeous blue ones from Scavengers on 98 for $50 a piece last year. They were a little higher than that during summer, but in the spring and fall they seem to let them go cheaper. Having shopped a while for them, it seems anything under $99 is a decent deal around here.

12. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

I knew they were cheap and they're quite sturdy. Need to go get a few more.

13. JEANNE

JEANNE Beach Comber

Where is Scavengers on 98? I need a couple more of those chairs!! Sounds like the best deal I've heard all day.

14. soozie58

soozie58 Beach Lover

Jeanne, I actually called them cause it sounded too good and they do have the chairs for $79. Their address is 532 North Lakeshore phone 850.235-8095.

15. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

We had 10 custom-made cypress Adirondacks with marine varnish and $79 worth of stainless steel screws in each chair that were based on a design from Highland Hardware in Atlanta. They lasted a year in the Florida weather. We were so discouraged at their quick demise that we purchased (tacky) resin Adirondacks at Home Depot for $12 a pop. I just don't think that beautiful outdoor furniture has any chance of surviving the brutal climate of the Panhandle. If anyone knows of good-looking, but not outrageously expensive, outdoor furniture that would last long enough for it to be worth the expense, I'd appreciate it. We bought some Adirondacks from a place about a mile or so east of Carillon for $100 each, and the wood started splitting within a month! The person who owns the place told us that they'd last 10 years - LOL.

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

My $12 Home Depot plastic Adirondacks have lasted for several years and are still holding strong. I can also stack them and easily move them around.

17. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I didn't buy Adorondak chairs for our front porch because I was concerned about the wood splitting, finish, etc. in the rough weather. Instead, I bought the "fake" wicker furniture and it has held up beautifully for 3 years. I bought some at a pretty expensive place on 98 toward Destin (loveseat and chair) and some very inexpensive ones (cafe table and four chairs) at Home depot. They are both holding up equally well. All I've had to do so far is wash them down (especially the white cafe set) well once or twice a year because they did get a little moldy (hardly noticable) and I probably will need to get new cushions as well (I take off the cushion covers and wash them in the washing machine a few times a year). They're not the same look as Adorondak chairs, but they're very comfortable and long-lasting. Another benefit of the wicker-type chairs is that if someone needs an extra seat inside, they can easily borrow it from the porch (they tend to be pretty lightweight) and would be very comfortable sitting around the living room in it.

18. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Thanks, Paula, for the info. I'm not really fond of the wicker look, but then I'm not really fond of expensive chairs dying in a year or Wal-Mart decor of resin chairs, for that matter - LOL. Maybe I'll try your suggestion next time. BTW if you Google "resin chairs," you'll see that academia is actually doing research on the pervasiveness of resin furniture as a cultural phenomenon - too funny!

19. skier

skier Beach Lover

Re: Adirondak chairs

We bought 6 adirondack chairs a couple of small tables and a large oval dining table for our porch at fairly reasonable prices from the "convenience" store at the corner of 30-A and 283 in Grayton Beach. They are very solidly built and stained (any color you choose) and look as good as new after 18 months. No splitting yet and no mildew or mold yet.

20. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I actually like the wicker look and feel. They are sooo comfortable - adirondock chairs look great (and we have some in our yard at home) but frankly I don't think they're as comfortable as they look. Our cottages in SoWal are rentals most of the time, so easy-care, comfortable, lightweight, long-lasting furniture is a must. Hmmm, I'll have to check what academics have to say about resin furniture -- a sign of our times that reflects something about US culture in some way I assume.