• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
We are newbies to the whole building process and we are definitely clueless about building in South Walton. After doing some research and seeing it was clear the price per sq. footage around this area is completely different, as it should be being how awesome it is. I knew nothing about "30a" until we stumbled across some property in Santa Rosa after saying we wanted to move to the beach (Destin), which we found out would not be a great place for us. I did not realize the treasure that I had found! I love South Walton! But to my despair, after researching, I realized our dream may not be a reality. My question is: Is it realistic to have a builder give you a "budget" on what they thought your house would run to build in the Santa Rosa area bay side? Is that even possible? I don't need a bid right now. I am in need of trying to figure out if this build is actually possible for us. I also feel like it would be hard to get any help because of how busy the builders are and the fact that I'm sure they are only focused on building larger homes or beach front homes, which is business I understand. I'm looking at a cottage built up with a drive under garage, approximately 1500 to 1820 sq. feet with a budget of about $300,000 maybe even $350,000( I have an Allison Ramsey Architects Study Plan that is 1820 sq.ft.) granite/wood or tile floors finishes-(I have high end taste & not a high end budget) but I know there are finishes that can be comparable to high end taste without the higher price tag.
So......am I out of my mind? Please someone tell me this could happen! Thank you for any piece of knowledge or advice. #shouldwestayorshouldwego

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
All subdivided and platted lots have restrictions. The county comprehensive plan and land development plan also impose restrictions and building requirements. The state and county also requires building codes are met.
However, I do not believe Magnolia Beach has an HOA.
The numbers you are looking at are not out of reality.
Be certain to compare apples to apples when builder shopping. Have an eye on allowances. And there are significant costs that may...or may not, be in your construction contract.
Need more personal info? Feel free to pm me. I am state certified with over 40 years in the industry.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
It is doable, but you will need to be realistic about what things cost and what you can afford. It is much more expensive to build here due to hurricane codes, but a good architect and builder can help you make good decisions about where to save and where to splurge.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Good Luck to you Ashley! The building process is very stressful, having done it several times in several states. Every builder has a different personality and their time table is not necessarily your time table! Nor is your picky eye always their picky eye when it comes to minor things being fixed. Keep in mind to pad your budgets for unexpected add ons!
It will be great in the end!!!

Marmot

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2016
SRB
Everything is gangbusters now, all the good builders are wide open and whatever the market will bear is the price, not sure of your time frame and when a downturn in the market will occur for best pricing. You might find someone to give you a "ballpark" but it also depends on your allowances (fixtures, cabinets, flooring, etc) as these can drive the price dramatically. Might want to determine what is most important and what is least. Spend the money where you are living in the house, cut corners elsewhere. Homework is the key, details, details,.....