• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Walton Sun:

As the value of real estate skyrockets in the Panhandle, ?affordable housing? has become a buzzword in Walton and neighboring counties.
?We?re not talking
about teachers and police officers,? Executive Director of Walton County Housing Ingrid Burmeister said. ?It?s those working at McDonald?s or the elderly.?
?Affordable housing? is often defined as not costing the occupant more than 30 percent of his or her total income. For someone making $10 an hour, that would equal roughly $480.
Housing and Urban Development attempts to make housing affordable for those on low or reduced incomes through vouchers. Approximately 60 HUD vouchers have been given to Walton County residents that have yet to be used.
The rental seekers can?t find anything because so many rental properties have been taken off the market, Burmeister said. ?Landlords are just selling their units.?
Angella, who asked her last name not be used, is a single mother working towards a degree. Without assistance from HUD she couldn?t afford to live in Walton County.
?It?s getting more expensive. If it weren?t for HUD, I wouldn?t be able to pay the bills,? Angella said.
Walton County?s housing problem is ?not unique,? since housing around the country is rising. However, the problem generally occurs in large metropolitan areas, HUD spokesperson Donna White said.
To help alleviate the problem locally, the Walton County Board of Commissioners voted to pursue the purchase of state land to provide workforce housing.
The BCC?s approval was necessary for the Walton Community Development Corporation, a non-profit organization, to begin negotiating the purchase of state land to create a community land trust, Chairman Joe Burton said.
?We?re structured to work with local and state to make this a reality,? he said.
Seven lots listed located north of 393 and a 10-acre parcel off of J.D. Miller Road are currently being investigated. The land tracts are not contiguous with any state park lands, Burton said.
Many within the county are concerned that a lack of affordable housing may thwart Walton County?s economic growth.
?If we can?t find housing that?s attainable, then we?re going to be severely limited to what we can do in the future,? Commissioner Cindy Meadows said.
?A lack of employees is linked to affordable housing,? Burton said.
Groups continue to discuss affordable housing, but ?I don?t know where those homes are at,? Commissioner Kenneth Pridgen said. ?How can a medium income family find a home??
?It?s an issue we?ve got to deal with,? Meadows said. ?I think we?re at the critical stage now.?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
This sounds good....hope it becomes reality.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
With the properties' being appraised for taxes so high its making the mortgages go up. I can't believe how my monthly payment jumped several hundred dollars per month just in a few years' time! Just thinking though how nice that I have n't seen a McDonald's in South Walton! That's another thing to like about it down there. Is there some kind of law keeping them out? I hope so!!!:clap_1:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Seacrestkristi, it is not legal to ban a particular business or type of business. However, there are ways to create very effective disincentives for chains. Our town's ordinances are a model in that respect and, so far, we have not a single new chain business or anyone challenging. The one exception is an old A&W Root Beer shop next to the high school, which everyone suspects may someday be our McDonald's because it was built before the ordinances were fine-tuned. Here are some of the things that can be built into zoning ordinances to discourage:

(1) No drive-through windows
(2) Limit the size (sq. ft.) of establishments in commercially-zoned areas
(3) Limit the number of seats that are allowed in restaurants or even
create a "cap" on new restaurant seats (the latter not popular)
(4) Create a checklist entitled "local serving" and require new businesses
to meet at least most of the criteria in the checklist to be approved
(5) Have your Planning Director make it very clear to those who come in with
inquiries that there is a locals bias about chain business or formula (fast
food) restaurants. Most will go away at this early stage.

The most effective of the above seems to be no drive-through windows. But you have to be careful that they don't purchase a former bank building and try to create the drive-through that way. We are probably extremists in controlling what kinds of businesses are allowed here. Every single one has to go through a fairly grinding use permit process. But we have a 150-year old Main Street Downtown and the town is under constant pressure for more tourist-serving uses (Napa Valley). Also, it is a very small town and we are desperately trying to keep the balance between tourism and quality of life for local residents, not to mention protection of agriculture. So far, so good. The down side of this is ever-increasing rents in the small amount of space on Main Street, so that local-serving businesses are often forced out. Probably a good idea to create opporunities for shop owners to own their building space, if it is not too late.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
seacrestkristi said:
With the properties' being appraised for taxes so high its making the mortgages go up. I can't believe how my monthly payment jumped several hundred dollars per month just in a few years' time! Just thinking though how nice that I have n't seen a McDonald's in South Walton! That's another thing to like about it down there. Is there some kind of law keeping them out? I hope so!!!:clap_1:

With both taxes and insurance going up (and if you have an ARM) you can expect more of the same going forward. Also expect to start paying $20 for burger, fries and a coke before too long (that's if you can find someone to serve it). :cool:

SHELLY said:
With both taxes and insurance going up (and if you have an ARM) you can expect more of the same going forward. Also expect to start paying $20 for burger, fries and a coke before too long (that's if you can find someone to serve it). :cool:

Sounds like a good excuse to stay at home and cook your own burger and fries. There usually better anyway.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Just_In_Thyme said:
Sounds like a good excuse to stay at home and cook your own burger and fries. There usually better anyway.

Depends...who does the cooking and who does the cleaning up?

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Shelly, do you really think you're going to be paying $20 for a burger with fries because housing is expensive in South Walton? I'm going to make your day. One cannot buy a decent house for under a million dollars (and not much for that) in our town in CA, but we can still get a hamburger/fries in a lot of places for $5 or $6. Shucks...we can get a designer burger with all fresh "slow food" ingredients and a pistachio or espresso shake from the Gourmet Magazine acclaimed diner for $10. All is well...try real hard to pass it on. :rotfl: