1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

After Dennis

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by florida 5, Jul 8, 2005.

1. florida 5

florida 5 Beach Crab

Looks like Dennis is changing our vacation plans to visit Destin. Does anyone know how soon after the storm passes they will allow visitors/homeowners, etc. to return to the area?

2. Travel2Much

Travel2Much Beach Lover

Hurricanes don't really work that way, on schedules. Gotta luv em for that.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

:welcome:

There are too many variables. It all depends on how hard Destin gets hit, and how long power may be out. When are you scheduled to arrive?

4. florida 5

florida 5 Beach Crab

We're from Tallahassee, so we know these things are unpredictable! We are scheduled to arrive on Sunday, but obviously, that ain't happening. We're also aware that if the area is torn up, the trip will probably be cancelled altogether. Basically, we were just wondering if the area doesn't sustain too much damage, if anyone had any idea how soon people would be allowed back into the area. Thanks for your help.

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Visitors may not have a place to stay. Rentals are typically rented to residents from devistated places (eg People from Pensacola were staying in So Walton rentals after Ivan. Just be patient and check this board and you will know when it is time for you to visit.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

After Ivan '04, bridges were reopend two days later, but there was nowhere to go and power was out until Sunday, 4 days later.

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

If Destin were to avoid any damage at all then you could go as soon as the winds drop below 40 mph and bridges are opened.

For Destin to avoid any damage would require a Tallahassee or New Orleans landfall or thereabouts.

8. florida 5

florida 5 Beach Crab

Thanks for the info guys! We may have to postpone our vacation a bit! Good luck to all of you there.

9. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

We drove down the Thursday after Ivan. According to the information that we had, that was the first day that owners were allowed back in. The drive was quite an obstacle course, with several long delays caused by crews clearing trees that blocked the roads. We unboarded on Friday, and luckily got power that day. But every restaurants we tried was closed, we were too tired to grocery shop and cook, and there was no cable TV, so we left.

10. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

As I sit here reading all the info I can, one thought keeps coming...what can we do to help out from afar? I have read that one option is to make your vacation home available for use if needed. Please know we are out here praying for the best, but if there is anything we can do let us know!

11. Santa Rosa Pete

Santa Rosa Pete Beach Comber

Good Saturday morning, all!

Talk about "hurry up, slow down". After dashing down from Atlanta last night in anticipation of needing to board up and get the hell outta dodge later today, I wake up to discover winds have gone from 150mph late yesterday afternoon to 90mph and now they're back up to 105mph. I sit here, enjoying my second cup of coffee, and wonder whether or not it's worth the hassle of boarding up and doing the nail-hole damage to the house if it's just a Cat 1 storm. Having said that ... don't want to get caught with board shorts down.

What's everyone else planning this a.m.?

12. Mike or Regina

Mike or Regina Beach Crab

We live in Watercolor and based on the latest we are staying. We includes my wife and two teenagers. If it strengthens or is a direct hit we will be leaving.

Who else in the area is planning to stay?

13. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Nothing has changed and he is still doing what was expected, which was to weaken before strengthening again. There is no reason to do any different than you planned yesterday which I imagine was to follow mandatory evacuation orders.

Assume the worst and hope for the best.

You do not want to be in SoWal when Dennis comes ashore anywhere close, which could easily be the case.

14. Philip_Atlanta

Philip_Atlanta Beach Lover

What Kurt said. Plus, one of the beauties of Watercolor is the trees. I wouldn't want to be in amongst those when a Cat 3 or 4 Hurricane comes through. Just my thought.

15. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    I wish we had been able to board up, but instead we're 6 hours away. Ivan taught us a lesson, but we didn't get around to following through. :bang: I'd much rather deal with some wood putty and touch-up paint than broken windows. Have you ever tried to pick broken glass out of pine straw?

What is the best solution for out of towners, anyway? If you cut plywood you've got to store it and have a contractor in line before the season. The management companies may find someone to clean up for you post-hurricane but not board up before it. Most of the rolling/accordion shutters stick out like a sore thumb. Those Bermuda shutters that just fold down block the Gulf views (on the windows that are most vulnerable). :idontno: We did nothing because we couldn't come up with a reasonable plan. :oops:

16. Mike or Regina

Mike or Regina Beach Crab

Thanks for the message. Kurt you must be staying. Your pictures last year were appreciated by all. And highly appreciated by all of us. good luck on this one. May it move way west!

17. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

We were just lucky enough to be at the beach so we could take care of things. I don't know what we would have done if there had been renters there impeding us.

We have the plywood already cut and labeled, but there are so many windows that it's hard to put the right piece in the right spot. The workman just want to nail it up and get finished. But if they put a piece in the wrong place, you risk not having the proper piece to fit elsewhere - not like you can buy more plywood at the 11th hour. So it was a full-time job just managing the workman so they'd follow the labeling instructions.

We are looking for an alternative. We're tired up stressing out, wondering if we can find someone to help us board up. As you say, not only are the rolldown shutters ugly, they can rust and stick. And you're right, the Bermuda shutters block the view. We figured that either alternative would cost us about $25,000. :sosad:

This is to mgade - don't stay. If yesterday's traffic was any indication (took me 2-1/2 hours to cross the bridge) and you decided to leave at the last minute, there'd be so many people with your mindset that I'd be afraid that you couldn't get out of dodge before the bridges close (even though I here that the traffic isn't as bad this AM).

18. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I agree that it makes sense to let the storm pass by before heading to SoWal at this point. But don't assume rentals won't be available and that all rentals are being used for emergency workers or people who need places to stay after the storm. That was not my experience last year -- our places stayed empty and no one requested the use of them. Property owners would be happy to have renters if the area is ready for visitors (e.g., county officials let people in, electricity is working, streets are safe, etc.). As soon as the electricity came on last year a few days after the storm (maybe it won't go out this year says the optimist in me), the area was in very good shape except for the beach accesses.

For those of you who are locals, you have a better perspective on this than I have, though.

19. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

By the way, last year Destin got hit much harder than SoWal so my comments are based on SoWal, not Destin. You really have to try to get information (e.g., through this board) after a storm to see how the area is doing.