• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
We disagree. Without JOE pushing the airport for the last twenty years, Hwy 79 would not be expanded yet. In fact, it's opening should coincide with the opening of the airport. Coincidence? I think not.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
Have carriers committed to more flights to/from the new airport? Like real jet flights?

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Have carriers committed to more flights to/from the new airport? Like real jet flights?

You won't see that happen until capacity dictates it. As I have said many times, airlines do not operate on the "build it and they will come" principal especially in today's currect financial situation.

PC is currently the least used of all the airports (PFN, VPS, PNS). The smaller aircraft that are being used are not full. Why would an airline put a bigger airplane on a route that doesn't fill 50 0r 70 seaters?

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Marketing the Emerald Coast to Europeans

As the airport approaches completion, interested parties including joe, will
have a marketing blitz in Europe and other foreign capitals touting images and otherwise promote the emerald coast. Motivation is to create demand to see this place.

This is a no brainer, pictures of the beaches/costs/lifestyle/amenities will compute
with anyplace in the world. I believe the emerald coast is now in a very high position as one of the most visited destinations in our country.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We disagree. Without JOE pushing the airport for the last twenty years, Hwy 79 would not be expanded yet. In fact, it's opening should coincide with the opening of the airport. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm assuming that there is sarcasm in the comment as JOE hasn't been pushing the airport for the past 20 years. Unless of course for some reason a paper company desperately needed air travel for some reason.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am still wondering who the "new carriers and flights" will be. :dunno:

Airlines are already cutting way back on flights (and my standard ones at that) and they are saying this year's "staycation" will be next year's "naycation".

Plus, if the dollar continues to gain on the euro, we'll be more $ than a european destination.

I am still wondering who the "new carriers and flights" will be. :dunno:

Airlines are already cutting way back on flights (and my standard ones at that) and they are saying this year's "staycation" will be next year's "naycation".

Plus, if the dollar continues to gain on the euro, we'll be more $ than a european destination.

I like your naycation. That has the makings of next years buzz word.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I like your naycation. That has the makings of next years buzz word.

$$$-making opportunities for the entrepreneur who comes up with a "Naycation" line of souvenirs...

- postcards with photos of people working at the office; lines of your city's commuter traffic and folks dressed in Aloha shirts and sunglasses doing household chores;

- t-shirts saying "We went on a Naycation and all I got was this lousy t-shirt....from my dresser drawer";

- refrigerator magnets that are those "Law Office Advertising" magnets from the front of phonebooks with "Naycation" written across it with a Sharpie;

- a plain white beach (bath) towel with "HOME" stenciled on it.

Just avoid the expense of rounding up a group of feckless fops to come up with a dud of a marketing ploy like...THE™ Naycation.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28074671/

Here are nine reasons why 2009 will probably be known as the year of the ?naycation? ? and what it means for you.

The economy sucks
Andrea Funk, the owner of an apparel company in Olivet, Mich., has canceled her travel plans for 2009. ?I think we need to see the stock market stabilize and the economy get better before we go anywhere,? she says. At a time of great economic uncertainty, she and her family believe a vacation is a bad idea. ?We?re hoping none of use lose our jobs,? she says. However, on the upside, a bad economy often translates into vacation bargains.

Vacation budgets are history
Daniel Senie, a network consultant in Bolton, Mass., used to travel to the Caribbean a few times a year to go diving. ?We stopped a few years ago to save funds for a kitchen remodel,? he says. He never looked back. ?For me, avoiding air travel is my response to the lousy service by the airlines and TSA mock-security. The airlines have provided worse and worse service in an attempt to hold down prices, in a race to the bottom. Airplanes are dirty, amenities have been cut, and employees are upset all the time.? What does that mean for those of us who still want to vacation? That any vacation budget (even a small one) might take you far next year.

We?re tired of being lied to
People are forfeiting the great American vacation because they can?t stomach the travel industry?s lies anymore. Take the airlines, which earlier this year imposed a series of new surcharges in response, they said, to higher fuel costs. When fuel prices fell, what happened to the fees? They stuck around. ?Jet fuel prices have gone from over $140 per barrel in August to under $50 in November, but airfares in October were actually up 10 percent,? says Chicke Fitzgerald, the chief executive of roadescapes.com, a site for road trips. ?Americans are definitely voting on that trend with their wallets.? How so? By either vacationing close to home, or just staying home altogether.

We?re a little uncertain about 2009.
With the economy slowing down, uncertainty is keeping a lot of would-be vacationers at home. Melanie Heywood, a Web developer in Sunrise, Fla., says her business has slowed down, and she also recently learned she was pregnant. ?We really need to save our money as much as possible,? she says. She?s hardly alone. Consumer confidence fell to its lowest level in history in October before rebounding slightly last month. If you don?t fear 2009, though, you might be able to snag a low price on a vacation.

This year?s staycations were boring
No two ways about it, staying close to home and ?exploring? the local attractions can be dull, dull, dull. (Unless you live in a place where people like to vacation.) Might as well stay at work. Or take a long weekend and just chill out at home. Which is exactly what more Americans are doing.

The deals are good ? but not good enough
I spoke at a travel marketing conference last month, and heard the same refrain over and over again about ?rate integrity.? The idea is that if you cut your rates, people will not value your product. Instead, travel companies are offering other enticements, such as two-for-one deals or free room nights. But travelers are holding out for better bargains. ?Looking to 2009, it?s likely that we?ll see all kinds of hotel deals to draw consumers in ? discounts and special packages,? says Joe McInerney, the chief executive of the American Hotel & Lodging Association, a trade group for hotels. Yes, but when? McInerney believes the deals won?t fully materialize until after the holidays.

People just don?t feel like traveling anymore
Maybe it?s a little vacation fatigue, but there?s a sizeable group of people out there who just don?t want to travel. ?I don?t feel any need to go anywhere,? says Gayle Lynn Falkenthal, a communications consultant in San Diego. ?Even if someone dumped $50,000 into my bank account, I?d find better things to do with it.? This indifference to vacationing ? particularly to traveling far away ? can be traced back to the hassle and high prices of travel during the last few years. Simply put, it?s payback time.

The travel industry still doesn?t get it
Some industry segments, such as tour operators, obviously understand that customers want a reasonable price and good service. The most reputable operators, led by the U.S. Tour Operators Association, are offering incentives such financing plans and guaranteed rates. On the other hand, airlines are responding to the lousy economy by boosting fees and surcharges and raising fares instead of raising their customer service levels. That?s going to keep a lot of travelers home in 2009.

We?ve made vacation plans ? for 2010
Already, 2009 is being called the ?lost year.? That?s what many travelers are treating it like, too. ?We have decided to put off our travel,? says writer Brenda Della Casa. ?We fully intend to head back to Mexico or Europe ? in 2010. Hopefully, things will be more stable.? For the contrarians among us, ?discovering? 2009 may mean uncovering a lot of opportunities to see destinations you could have never otherwise afforded.

So how does this affect your next vacation? If you?re brave enough to take one, expect lots of too-good-to-be true deals. Even the smallest vacation budget might be rewarded with a wonderful experience.