• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://newpcairport.com

Construction Update
October 23, 2008

Construction on the airport remains ahead of schedule.
Walbridge, the company slated to build the terminal building and all support buildings, received the notice to proceed (NTP) on October 15 and has set up their construction office on site. Work will begin within 30 days.
Runway 16-34:
  • The asphalt base is ongoing and is approximately 20% complete.
  • Concrete paving on Runway 16-34 is expected to begin November 11.
  • Runway lighting is ongoing and is nearing 19% completion.
Taxiway D:
  • Earthwork is nearing 97% completion.
  • Asphalt paving and the lighting work are ongoing.
Terminal Parking Lot:
  • Stabilized Sub Grade is complete.
  • Curbing is approximately 98% complete.
  • The limerock base is layer is going down and is nearly 75% complete.
Terminal Building Pad
  • Complete
Security Fence
  • Work is proceeding east and west of the runway and is 58% complete.
Navaid area north of Runway 16-34
  • Earthwork is nearing completion

2923890983_4bb9d21556.jpg

2924742024_1511426282.jpg

2924743004_8216af3a52.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

So, it appears to me that the long runway will be lined up almost in line with RiverCamps development. Will planes be landing on that runway, approaching from the South? Also, will they take off on that runway, going south? singingchicken, FlyforFun, anyone, do you guys know? I'm just curious as to how loud air traffic will be at RiverCamps. I know from experience that sound travels easily over water, and don't see how anyone would want to live in RiverCamps, unless they are used to the buzz of cars and planes, living in big cities like Atlanta.

So, it appears to me that the long runway will be lined up almost in line with RiverCamps development. Will planes be landing on that runway, approaching from the South? Also, will they take off on that runway, going south? singingchicken, FlyforFun, anyone, do you guys know? I'm just curious as to how loud air traffic will be at RiverCamps. I know from experience that sound travels easily over water, and don't see how anyone would want to live in RiverCamps, unless they are used to the buzz of cars and planes, living in big cities like Atlanta.

Where would Rivercamps be in relation to this photo? I've been wondering about this too for a while.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Based on the location of the Creek and the powerline clearing in the photo, I believe RiverCamps would be slightly to the right (maybe 2miles) of the upper right corner of the photo. Google launched a new satellite in Sept to get new and improved mapping for Google Earth, but I haven't checked to see if the new maps have been posted yet. I am guessing that they (Google) will be working on Gov't stuff before they open the files to the public.

NOTE: I may be wrong on my placement of RiverCamps in relation to the runway, so as always, do due diligence before basing any purchase decisions on my statement.

Edit: Google map below (with my labels). I tried aligning the map with the photo above to help you see from the same perspective.

google_map_-_new_airport.jpg

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

They may have to come up with some noise abatement procedures to mitigate any noise effects, but take offs and landings are going to be dictated solely by the prevailing wind at the time...

It all has to do with Mother Nature!

Keep in mind, though, that we are not talking about big airplanes. Contrary to what people want to believe, the airport is designed around an Airbus A-320 model. Traffic won't be significantly different than what it is today...for a while, anyway. Still, the airport has a max aircraft size that is relatively quiet. The ATR aircraft that ASA flies (the 66 seat prop jobs) will be gone within a few months so that is one less prop job that has to be worried about...

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al

SJ, the answer to your question is yes and yes, even with noise reduction proceedures. :blush:

Last edited:

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
From the airport sign on 388 to the rivercamps entry it is 2.8 miles. Given that is not exactly where the planes will be landing/departing, it will actually be at least 3 miles and probably closer to 4 miles from where the actual rivercamps homes are located vs where the actual airplanes are taking off/landing. Added that the distance between is buffered by 100% pine trees and other natural foliage. Added to that is the fact that the main landing strip is a north-south direction which will reduce the noise over rivercamps because the north south runway noise will be limited to that area which is 3 miles away. Most of the noise will actually be over the area east of rivercamps known as burnt mill creek.

People making observations about not seeing why anyone would want to live at rivercamps are operating with a "little knowledge" which we all know is a dangerous thing.
Rivercamps in fact is one of the most beautiful gems in all of the panhandle with its nature
preserve type setting, surrounded by water on three sides, unparalled anywhere else.
With the lots all being an acre you wont have a postage sized lot like you have at watercolor and seaside. Your friends will actually have room to park their cars in your driveway. Also the lot density is an unheard of and unbelievable 400 lots on 1500 acres, meaning most of the development will not be built on, this is by design and gives one a feeling of complete openness and freedom.

Also given the collapsed market at the present time, the lots are now priced at absurdly low levels and will certainly prove to be an extremely well placed investment in a year or so given the airport and other planned development in the area.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
rambunkscious, thanks for replying to my question. Since we ARE operating on limited knowledge, I wanted to ask the question. All we have to go by are what we see and read, so my question was very legit. I also was sure to note that I, myself, placed the markers based on my own, implying that it may not be correct.

How many lots do you own in RiverCamps, or, do you work for JOE?

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Smiling Joe, no problem. I just wanted to correct some loose information and also wanted to point out the positive points about the development. I love the development but do not work for Joe. Your question was legit, no harm done, thanks.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I like RiverCamps, too, except for those No-See-Ums, which are able to wiggle through the finest screen. They are all over West Bay. Now, with Pier Park being so close to RiverCamps, I think that will make it an even greater draw for many people. I know many people who like to vacation in this area, but dislike being in the sun on the beach. RiverCamps would be a great get-away for them. I am still a little nervous about the potential sound from planes in that area. RiverCamps was always promoted as being rustic, in the woods, away from the hustle and bustle, but still relatively close to the beach. I think anyone who bought solely on that, would notice jet engines at low altitudes even 4 miles away, as the sound bounces off of the water. Like I said, a little noise may not be a big deal to many people coming from big cities, but I can hear a small lizard run through the leaves on the ground, because it is so quiet at my house, unless Eglin has planes flying overhead. Sometimes I get ready to duck, because they sound so close to my house.

Maybe when Shelly goes out to the new airport for his nude pose when they open, he will check the noise level.